Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How much tone generator oil to use?

  1. #1
    Newbie TheGrobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oswego, New York
    Posts
    5

    Question How much tone generator oil to use?

    I recently picked up a Hammond L122 off craigslist for $50. Wicked find! I'm currently in the process of refurbishing it.

    Through my research across the internet I've been learning a lot about tonewheel organs and I bought some tonewheel oil. Here's where the question lies.

    Hammond says on the oiling instructions sticker to add 1/5 oz. to each of the two tonegenerator funnels annually. The bottle of oil that I got from Tonewheelgeneral.com says I should add 1/2 oz to each funnel annually. I played it safe and put 1/4oz in each funnel figuring who knows when the last time this instrument was oiled but I don't want to add too much at the same time. Should I go ahead and add another 1/4 oz. to each funnel or, are these instructions suited to a larger organ like a b3?

    Any help or advice would be great!

    IMG_0473.jpg

  2. #2
    Member ShadyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    901

    It won't hurt if you add too much. It could drip, but nothing really to hurt. And it would be more likely to spill when you move the organ if you put too much in.

    The idea is to keep the sponges which hold the oil damp, not dripping wet.

    I forget what kind of vibratto the L's have, I am familiar with the M3 scanners. These have a small cup, so be careful when oiling the scanner. On the M3 you can open the cover and actually see the cup and touch the sponge. Your fingertip should be wet after you touch it. If it drips you put too much in, no big deal, you can probably go a bit longer without oiling.

    The TWG is basically the same except the trough for the oil is much bigger and harder to get to.

    If you intend to move this organ around a lot, ie gigging with it, then you are better off putting less oil in more freqently.
    When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

  3. #3
    Newbie TheGrobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oswego, New York
    Posts
    5

    No scanner on the L100's. The vibrato is a tube driven phase oscillator so no oil there. Thanks for the advice!
    Percussionist, Recording Engineer, organist? Soon to come!

  4. #4
    Senior Member sfp1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rumford, RI USA
    Posts
    1,038

    Don't forget to oil the motor.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by sfp1954 View Post
    Don't forget to oil the motor.
    Sorry to open up an old post; on my L100p there are two funnels with spring loaded caps on the motor. I flip up the caps and fill them with oil during my semi annual oiling. What's the proper process on a B3? Where do you oil the motor? The motor on my B3 does not have the same funnels to oil so I am not sure where it should be oiled. Does anyone have a picture of a B3 motor that would depict the oiling points?
    57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond Porta-B; Hammond XM2/XMc2; 68 Leslie 122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo Organ; www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member jkrusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)
    Posts
    1,136

    Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
    Sorry to open up an old post; on my L100p there are two funnels with spring loaded caps on the motor. I flip up the caps and fill them with oil during my semi annual oiling. What's the proper process on a B3? Where do you oil the motor? The motor on my B3 does not have the same funnels to oil so I am not sure where it should be oiled. Does anyone have a picture of a B3 motor that would depict the oiling points?
    A small metal trough with an oiling thread for the motor on one side and for the scanner on the other needs to be filled just enough to moisten the pad inside. Over-oiling will cause scanner problems and eventually require a clean out and repair. Also oil the typical two plastic funnels for the tone generator itself. This photo is an A but it's the same on a B-3
    73288_13.jpg
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

    1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

  7. #7

    Jerry, that looks like a picture of the scanner. Do you have a picture of the motor? I don 't recall seeing a funnel on my motor that is why I'd like a picture, if you don't mind. Thanks.
    57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond Porta-B; Hammond XM2/XMc2; 68 Leslie 122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo Organ; www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member jkrusel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)
    Posts
    1,136

    Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
    Jerry, that looks like a picture of the scanner. Do you have a picture of the motor? I don 't recall seeing a funnel on my motor that is why I'd like a picture, if you don't mind. Thanks.
    You actually have two motors, the square one in the picture is the RUN motor (on the treble end), with the round scanner bolted on the back.

    On the other end of the TG is the START motor (on the bass end). The START motor is oiled through threads from the main oil trough that runs from end to end of the TG, that gets filled through the two white plastic funnels. As long as the threads are intact it needs no special attention except a drop or two of oil on the linkage and sliding gears where it attaches to the TG mainshaft.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

    1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by jkrusel View Post
    You actually have two motors, the square one in the picture is the RUN motor (on the treble end), with the round scanner bolted on the back.

    On the other end of the TG is the START motor (on the bass end). The START motor is oiled through threads from the main oil trough that runs from end to end of the TG, that gets filled through the two white plastic funnels. As long as the threads are intact it needs no special attention except a drop or two of oil on the linkage and sliding gears where it attaches to the TG mainshaft.
    Gotcha! Then I'm good. That is exactly what I've been doing (including the sliding gears and linkage). Thanks.
    57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond Porta-B; Hammond XM2/XMc2; 68 Leslie 122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; 67 Howard Combo Organ; www.dyinbreedband.webs.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •