Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowrey Sterling

Lowrey Sterling

As an owner of a Lowrey Stardust I was interested to see and hear the latest flagship Lowrey organ , the Sterling Edition.
    Are there any other Forumites who have seen and heard this model?
    Lowrey are making a big emphasis on the 'modern' look with its metal console with black lettering.
    Perhaps they were forgetting their Contempo 80 and the MX-1 which also sported this finish.
    My initial thoughts are it does sound impressive and the sounds are all editable if not exactly to personal taste, but the 2 new features which may or may not prove innovative and helpful are Pedal Magic and a Fake it! button.
    The first allows players to attempt to play the pedals but not necessarily the correct ones and the organ automatically corrects the mistake. Time will tell if this helps or hinders.
    The Fake it! button allows players to play a left hand chord and attempt runs , and frills with the right hand and again the organ within reason makes them sound as if an experienced player was performing.
    I can see this button being renamed with a different 4 letters beginning with 'F' if the sound isn't quite right especially after a few attempts.
    Overall though the organ does sound good and the height adjustable bench is worthy of praise as this will allow all players to be at a comfortable playing height.
    Is it worth £33k though????................
    What do you think?
    Mac

I just don't get it. If you want the instrument to play itself, buy an arranger keyboard. They're better at it and a hell of a lot cheaper.

I think it looks like a "jukebox" (or pinball machine) and is totally unable to make the sounds of a decent Pipe Organ ( I have played The Sterling for several hours)

A DVD by Allens Music http://www.allensmusiccentre.co.uk/ is included with the latest edition of Keyboard Cavalcade Magazine, (About 1hr 20min just on the Sterling) and also available if you give Allens a call.

I have had a good listen and I am impressed with a lot of the sounds and pre-sets on this new instrument, (Its certainly is a departure for Lowrey) however is it worth almost £33K? Well, is a Rolls Royce worth over £200K? as there are many other cars that do the same for a hell of a lot less. In the end it all comes down to personal choice.

As to arranger keyboards, then there is nothing on the market that comes close to the sound, operation and impact that the Sterling brings, just like the Sterling cannot compete with what arranger keyboards can provide. (They are totally different types of instrument, aimed at completely different markets)

As to the fake it and pedal magic buttons, (Which Lowrey perceive there is a market for) Well! I will let you make your own decision.

In the final analysis, if you like it and can afford it, buy it; if you donít like it then donít buy it. (Each to his own)

Bill

Bill,
    I have just seen the DVD and it is difficult to assess how good (or bad) this organ is from it. My Stardust has good sounds but I would agree I feel the Pipe organ sounds aren't as good as say a Roland.
    Hitech has the advantage of actually PLAYING the organ, which is always the best way to review a model.
    That Fake it button. Weird.
    Mac

Sterling Experience

I bought one last September and haven't regretted it. We do think not attractive until the power is on, looks too metallic I suppose. The sound is great and the mid speakers add much to the players enjoyment with sound not just at your feet. It is a step forward but Lowrey is still much behind the times technically. Can't add voices, rhythms, songs, instruments but there are nearly endless variations included to say the least. Does play midi USB and CD's (not midi - but commercial and home made MP3). It also records on CD's and USB. I have a Yamaha PSR S910 which is amazing but not in the class of the Sterling. However it does allow input of song styles and rhythms which I so wish the Lowrey did. The Yamaha has been resting since we got the Sterling I am afraid. No use for the Fake It or the Pedal Magic of which they are very proud of. The adjustable bench has been a pain but getting use to. Not enough calf room since a big square box. We never adjust the height, we just leave at the top. Price is another matter - realize they have put a lot of time and effort into bringing their instruments to where they are today but just not afforable to anyone unless they just don't have anything else to do with around $50K. Love playing ours numerous times each day. There a couple fresh Sterling videos on YouTube to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    As an owner of a Lowrey Stardust I was interested to see and hear the latest flagship Lowrey organ , the Sterling Edition.
    Are there any other Forumites who have seen and heard this model?
    Lowrey are making a big emphasis on the 'modern' look with its metal console with black lettering.
    Perhaps they were forgetting their Contempo 80 and the MX-1 which also sported this finish.
    My initial thoughts are it does sound impressive and the sounds are all editable if not exactly to personal taste, but the 2 new features which may or may not prove innovative and helpful are Pedal Magic and a Fake it! button.
    The first allows players to attempt to play the pedals but not necessarily the correct ones and the organ automatically corrects the mistake. Time will tell if this helps or hinders.
    The Fake it! button allows players to play a left hand chord and attempt runs , and frills with the right hand and again the organ within reason makes them sound as if an experienced player was performing.
    I can see this button being renamed with a different 4 letters beginning with 'F' if the sound isn't quite right especially after a few attempts.
    Overall though the organ does sound good and the height adjustable bench is worthy of praise as this will allow all players to be at a comfortable playing height.
    Is it worth £33k though????................
    What do you think?
    Mac

Hi,
    Glad you're enjoying the Sterling. I have been tempted but the price is too much for me, however the new AT900P Roland will give the Sterling a run for the money and £10k cheaper. Now there's a thought..
    Mac

I'd love to review these two side by side, but I have a feeling that one of the companies wouldn't let me.....
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

A really good comparison would be the Lowrey Sterling (£33,000), Roland AT900 Platinum (£24,999) and Music Stores Wersi Scala (£18,000)

NOTE: All prices are approximate due to fluctuating exchange rates

For the curious among you details of all can be found below.

Lowrey: http://www.allensmusiccentre.co.uk/l.../sterling.html

Roland: http://www.roland.co.uk/products/pro...ls.aspx?p=1199

Wersi: http://www.wersidirect.com/WERSI_Direct_Ltd/Scala.html

All of the above manufactures products have been reviewed by keyboard magazines before; (Some fairly recently) therefore I canít see why there should be any problem now.

Bill

I haven't seen any real reviews of the Lowrey Sterling other than by those that have bought/played it.

I had a chance to play the Sterling last November at the dealership. I was very impressed with the quality of the sounds and voices and slightly less impressed with the overall look of the console. That said, the layout is definitely a move away from previous Elite series Lowreys and it would take some time to fiddle around to get it to be 2nd nature.

In my playing, I had problems doing things on the fly as I tend to do. But that was more me not being familiar enough with the way things are done with this new organ. I don't think it would be difficult to learn the changes at all.

But my Palladium, especially now that I've added the BK7M to it, is more than enough for me to play and experiment with for quite some time. And of course, it is paid for, which is a very big plus!!

Is it worth that much more than the Roland AT900-P? Only the buyer can say for sure.
    Lloyd
    Lowrey SU-630 Palladium, Lowrey GX-1, Hammond Aurora