Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I found a way to play left hand bass on my M3!

I found a way to play left hand bass on my M3!

Check this out. I hardly ever play a gig where I don't play left hand bass. So I got an idea the other day. I wired in an effects loop to the lower manual signal coming out of the matching transformer and hooked in a boss octave pedal!!!!

It was an OC-2 so I knew even if it worked it would should a little weird, but to my surprise it worked great! I jsut ran it back into the organ and out to the leslie. I need to test out how it works when running it out to a bass amp instead.

I have the organ at a club where I host a weekly funk jam so its not easy for me to go in and make a video, but hopefully I can get something posted up on youtube sometime soon.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this sort of thing, and wanted to encourage anyone who was curious about this to try it.

-Walter

It's certainly easier than rewiring the whole lower manual!

If you could scribble up a diagram with a few details it might make a good thing to post here as an archive....
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Cool! I'd like to try this on my M3 as it sounds fairly easy. I'd just like to see how and where you wired the effects loop in a video or photos.
    Bob
    http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
    1959 Hammond M3
    1961 Hammond A101
    VB3 with M Audio Axiom
    1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
    1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
    2011 Neo Ventilator
    Casio WK-7500
    Yamaha P50m Module
    Roland VR-09
    Casio PX-5S

I'd like to see how you did it too. However mine is an M-100. think it would work? How about internally? BTW you can't play lower than F of course.

also waiting as it sounds simple and I keep trying to play more keys then I have!
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Korg Trinity
    and Korg KRONOS X73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Is this how you did this?

Materials:

Octavider. I have used the OC2 by Boss. There are other that probably would work equally well or better. As you test other units report it to me so I can make the information available here
    An LM 386 or similar IC to drive the low impedance of the drawbar input.
    On the L-100 p you also will need a relay or two for switching the octavider in and out. You will have to switch 7 lines.
    On a Standard L you can use the TAB for the lower manual to switch the Octavider in and out. Or you can use relays.
    What you do is to reroute the the 8 drawbar to the input of the octavider. It might be a good idea to insert a good microphone preamp here to improve the S/N in the octavider. I haven't tried this yet but it makes good sense i think. If you have a microphone transformer laying about you could use that to boos your signal 5:1. Since the input impedance of most pedals is in the 100k - 1Meg range you could use a higher ratio than 5:1 if you can find it. If you can find a transformer with a high enough ratio you could skip the pre amp altogether.
    On the output side of the Octavider you will need to either transform down 10k - 4 ohms or to use an low power ic capable of driving a 4 ohm load. Supplied here will be a drawing for using the LM 386. The drawback to this IC is that it is a little noisy but there are others around. I used it since I happened to have one in my toolbox at the time I made this mod.

Here's the part of the wiring diagram that shows the matching transformer. The red arrow shows where I wired in the effects loop.

It was really simple. You don't even need to take off the tone generator cover. Just pull out the matching transformer and take off the cover. The green and yellow wires are really easy to locate. The yellow carries the signal from the lower manual, so just unsolder it from the transformer and solder a 1/4" jack to each wire in addition to a ground wire and you're done!

The wiring is a little shoddy at the moment, so I'll need to clean it up a bit before I post some pictures. I'd like to add a switch for a hard bypass, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.

@Jazzer, I was a little confused by your post. but there is definitely a minor issue with getting the volumes volumes right due to the impedence issues you mentioned. I think this can be easily addressed with a volume pot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The trouble with L100 is there is only one channel so the only way of getting 16' notes is to lower 8' on the lower manual but the you loose the 8' unless the octavider allows mixing wet and dry signals.
    Is:
    Nord C2

Was:
    Hammond L122
    Leslie 147

L100 modifications: www.gietek.me.uk

The octavider would lower the whole manual, right?
    So you'd actually lose the 1' and the 2', not the 8' as such.

That's the useful thing with digital effects, an analogue divider can only do one tone at a time.

There's a dedicated unit coming out soon to give consoles bass all the way down, ie analogue octaving on just the foldback notes.
    It's great also on spinets if you lower the manual by resoldering the terminal strip....

But an effects unit with a guitar pedal doing the whole manual ought to sound pretty much the same. The downside is you either have to have an effects pedal on the loose in your organ all the time, the upside is you can switch it on or off. Means you get a standard lower manual position back again.

The analogue unit I THINK is coming out as a kit from Geoff Willamson and Simon Burtsal, Simon's a member here, Geoff's on Hammond Zone over on Yahoo.
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

You said locate the green and yellow wire and only use the yellow wire because it's the lower manual. So what do you mean solder a 1/4 jack to the "wires"? What is the other wire?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast