Thread: CONN THEATER ORGAN 652 with 4-CHANNEL LESLIE AND 2 Conn Pipe Sets (145/146)

CONN THEATER ORGAN 652 with 4-CHANNEL LESLIE AND 2 Conn Pipe Sets (145/146)

I recently acquired a 652 from an elderly lady who no longer plays. My interest was getting it and doing a little repair for now, then later converting it to a Hauptwerk virtual theater organ. After getting the Conn, I had a chance to acquire an Allen 4600 (3 manual theater) with combination action where the stops move. It is more suitable as a practice instrument for when I have the opportunity to play a Wurlitzer theater pipe organ.

The Conn needs a little TLC, I think a power supply problem which can be easy to repair. I will be looking into that right away. Meanwhile I need the room for the Allen. The 652 Conn had a better reputation for reliabiltiy (re maintenance) than the 653 which was built after Kimball acquired Conn)

I think the Leslie is a model 700, the wide console model with 4 channels. It may need a little TLC, as it has been in storage quite a while. I have a connector kit for a Conn 651 (Over the years I owned two 651s, not simultanously)

The Conn electic pipes are a 145/146 set. For someone who wants the organ, the full set would be an awesome sound. If I don't have an offer for the whole set, I will sell the pipes and/or Leslie separately. The connector kit I have is fro a Conn 651.

I also have a Hammond C-2 with home-style Hammond speaker plus a Leslie. The case needs refinishing, and it needs a little TLC, as well. It was played and loved by a relative who purchased it new. The Leslie and Hammond is in storage close by, so I need to have a couple of days notice to be able to try them.

I have knowledge of the organ market and and I am prepared to accept reasonable offers.

How did I get all these instruments? You see, I have a divided heart that cannot make up its mind whether it wants to settle for a truly fine digital orchestra (the Stagea ELS-01X from Yamaha) or a virutal theater pipe organ. The answer for me is to acquire both and I am working toward that.

I live about 25 miles north of Sacramento, California, and any long distance buyer would need to make arrangements to take it (U=Haul?) or ship it. I have scources for long-distance shipping for anyone interested.

If you do have interest, give me a call at 916-434-8095.

More likely a Leslie 600, the 700 isn't 'wide' and is only two channel.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I'm assuming you aren't dismantling the Conn 652 for your conversion to Midi are you? The Hauptwerk is impressive, but no where near as beautiful sounding as the 652. That's just my opinion.

So please convince me otherwise. What exactly is your reason for preferring a virtual organ over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEGJrtnQZo

I have all of those organs listed below ( the post) and would consider going midi for another aspect of playing. I really do love some of the warmer theater organ tones that I hear. Hopefully once I get the Wurlitzer series 31 Orgatron electrostatic organ, and the 310 rotary cabinet going I'll get those warm tones. I could just imagine the Conn pipes on this organ. I know they sound good on a Wurlitzer 4500 ( same as the Theater 4520, but different cabinet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLSzgQ-Heg

Please tell me you are only supplementing your 652's voices with the Hauptwerk. Different strokes for different folks is the way of the organ world too I guess, but when you get the transistor bug it's just like the tone wheel bug, it's hard to hear them be outdone. So many seem to just chuck the whole lot in favor of digital. Ah', I wish it was that easy for me. Not stubborn, my ears are (lol).
    BIG SCORE 5/9/14! FOUND $80 WURLITZER BRASS HORN IN CASE WITH STAND,LONG & SHORT BELL
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)

Andy, You are correct. The Leslie is in storage and has not been hooked up for a while. It is a 600. Sometimes senior brains have senior moments.

I visited you website and was amused by your history, adventures and I was impressed with the teaching tools in pdf.

In the 70s I taught for a Conn/Yamaha dealer. We used 30 consoles, mostly Conn in our large studio room. On stage was the 3 manual TO, with a slanted mirror so students could observe hands playing. We also had a lightup keyboard that was about six feet wide, overhead so we could show chords, etc. And, we used no headphones, so the teacher used a microphone. I adapted another device that prevented people from playing over teachers instruction. I had a police (US style) whistle on a neck string. If they didn't stop when I called stop, I would "blow the whistle on them." After a couple of times of that, they would stop instantly if I lifted the whistle to my mouth.

It was great fun for more than 10 years, but like you, I was a family man. In 1979 I stopped teaching and had a career change that provided more income for my family's needs (At that time I had a 19 year old son headed for college and a 15 year old son.

Recently, I began to move into a retirement mode and have begun to rebuild the dexterity and technique that got away from years of neglect.

Thanks for a pleasant afternoon reading your adventures and comparing a similar life to mine.

My family came from the UK in the middle of the 18th century. Some of the other collateral lines stayed. In the 19th century a relative was given a title as baron because the king liked the ale he brewed. There is a library named after Baron Gilstrap in Newark, I understand.

I did not recognize your health problem by its acronym, but sympathize. May West said, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

Regards

Sam

Thanks for the kind comments Sam. Glad you enjoyed the website, I'm just in the middle of a major update, so there should be a lot of new stuff next time you drop by.

I really liked the 652 - had one for a while. One of the family's dogs would often sit on the pedalboard when I went near it, maybe he was trying to tell me something!

Andy
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I have a taker for the Conn 652 which will now give me room to begin my conversion on my Allen 4600--soon to be Paramount virutal TPO.

Just curious....Have you sold the pipes yet?

Hi Sam! So you got any updates on your project(s)??
    Quote Originally Posted by StageaXSam View Post
    I have a taker for the Conn 652 which will now give me room to begin my conversion on my Allen 4600--soon to be Paramount virutal TPO.
    Allen, Conn, Hammond, Rodgers

Hello, Crown
    No, I have not sold the pipes yet. The friend who wants the Conn 652 will not want the pipes, just the organ. So I have a Leslie 600 and the Conn pipes, a 146 and a 145. I am willing to look at offers for any of those items.

If you wish, you can call me direct at 916-434-8095

Hello Hamman

No, I am still trying to gather information. I also need my friend to take the Conn 652 so I will have room to work on the VTPO. My music room is the size of a single car garage. Rigth now, I have a Yamaha Stagea, Yamaha ELX-1, Yamaha upright piano, Yamaha 88 note MIDI controller keyboard, the Conn and the Allen 4600. There is no room to work much on anything until something goes. (I have a Hammond C-2, Conn 632 (25/61/61) a Baldwin upright piano and baby grand, all in storage)

Needed: Information on speakers that would work with the Allen now and would also be usable with the VTPO when finished. The Allen has four channels (amps/speakers), self contained. Any suggestions from anyone regarding affordable sound is appreciated.