Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Facade Pipes

As is often the case. More power to you!

I'm afraid not, anything you put in the way of sound will take away from it. It will never improve sound.
    Hmm- generally speaking, I agree with you. However, in terms of an electronic organ, I've heard that putting a facade in front of speakers helps to disperse the sound more naturally - like the sound of pipes going through the facade -- and the result is that the organ theoretically sounds more realistic. I don't know if this is true or not, but it certainly makes sense (kindof like putting speakers in a swell box will give a more natural sound than having a digital swell box because swell shades actually direct the sound physically in different directions based on how much they're open).

Personally, I don't really see the point to putting a facade of pipes on a toaster - if they don't speak. If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not buy a WORKING set of pipes and hook it up to your toaster?

As is often the case.
    Haha... organ facade... organ case... get it?

...never mind.

Personally, I don't really see the point to putting a facade of pipes on a toaster - if they don't speak. If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not buy a WORKING set of pipes and hook it up to your toaster?
    I don't see the point in any of those solutions. Having played on a hybrid organ (pipes+electronics) I find it less than satisfactory compared with either pipes or electronics alone. Tuning is always a problem. In a home it might be managable, but in a church?

I played and tuned a Phelpsavant once (a rather large one) that was enlarged some with a Walker system. One of the digital stops was a 4' principal in the swell. It sounded very realistic and I went to try and tune it. LOL! I couldn't find the pipes. That was a pretty successful digital stop there! I do think there is something to be said fro putting speakers in chambers.
    +Nikolaos

3 Rank pipe organ of unknown origin rescued and awaiting restoration, an additional Diapason rank or two and I need a console!

Tuning is always a problem.
    Not so, my friend. Welcome to the 21st century.

I've had church jobs on two hybrid organs now-- an Reuter/Allen hybrid, and a Schudi/Walker hybrid. Tuning the Allen was as easy as pressing "Add Digital," going into the menu, holding a note down, and adjusting the digital ranks to match the pipes. The Schudi was even easier-- you simply can't tune it - it tunes itself (and did a damn good job every morning!). I spoke with Bob Walker about the tuning device a while back, but I can't remember exactly how it works. I THINK there are several temperature and humidity sensors throughout the organ that calculate the approximate pitch (but don't quote me on that). Regardless of how it works, it DOES work, and works really well.

I have to agree with cantornikolaos. With some of this new Walker stuff and a good set of speakers, it's nearly impossible to tell what's real and what isn't.

Would I prefer an ALL pipe organ? Of course. But I can testify from (literally) years of playing hybrid instruments every Sunday morning, these are good instruments. (Thankfully now, though, I play a nice Casavant every week with nothing digital. I'm not complaining!)

Fine if it advanced.

There are several possible solutions with facades. Some Pipe organs have speaking pipes in the facade or a combination of speaking and dummy pipes in the facade. These are usually of an open diapason rank. However, many organs have been built with complete facades of non-speaking pipes, and I must say that I find them to be very beautiful instruments such as this gorgeous 3-rank J.W. Walker and Sons of 1875, now in my college chapel:

It is only a chapel organ, with 20 hitch-down pedals and a single manual of 56 notes, but I love it to bits. Our Schola director calls it the "box of whistles", which is not surprising considering his other instrument is a 37-rank 3 manual Norman and Beard of 1898:

Now I know that many of you think that this is an ugly modern church, but the above is a prime example of a major organ with a combination of speaking and non-speaking facade pipes.

Now, I wouldn't mind a nice facade to go above the electric Conn 611 that I am rebuilding as a Midi Organ! Of course, for me, I would love to have a rank of speaking pipes controlled by midi above my console, but I just don't have space. As it is, the organ will have to live in the same space as a bicycle mechanic's workshop and model railway layout!

Revival

Ok so I am the organist for a church. Im buying a fake facade to house the speakers to end an ongoing problem, the speakers sit on the floor in the back. I cant hear the organ when i play and we have a "full house" and the people in the back can hear it all too well. Let me tell ya :/ However I think this is a great solution to both problems and will be a nice addition to our blank back wall. There was a name of a company and their website given earlier. I am using them. Does anybody know what their facades usually run?

Quote Originally Posted by Organist2224 View Post
    There was a name of a company and their website given earlier. I am using them. Does anybody know what their facades usually run?
    Organist,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm not sure if you realize it or not, but you revived a dead thread. However, in answer to your question, you should check wtih OrganForum member JBird604. He's a great guy, and I'm sure he can assist you in some way. He's been a tremendous help to me.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DKC / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos