Thread: Kimball Swinger 700 series (The Entertainer III)

Junior Member Firepowerforfreedom's Avatar

Kimball Swinger 700 series (The Entertainer III)

OK, this isn't so much "what is it worth" so much as it is "what can possibly go wrong?"

I've found a 1967 Kimball Swinger 700 series organ for free on Craigslist. The owner says it is in good condition—all keys, pedals, and switches are working. It also has a built-in Leslie, which my current Conn Caprice 427 is lacking.

However, if I know one thing about electronics, it's that nothing is trouble-free. What possible deterioration could have taken place over time that would change the Kimball's sound or function? Also, what could take place in the future, and what should I check and maintain to keep it playing nicely, assuming I pick it up?

POwer supply caps would be worth changing anyway at this age, listen for any hums that will show they're on the way out. Contacts, of course, speaker cones, check any odd smells too. And play every note, use every voice etc, to see what's working and what's not.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Junior Member Firepowerforfreedom's Avatar
    Got it. I'll just have to be discreet when I'm doing that. Thanks.

you have an organ that I just got. I do not play the organ. It did not come with any diagrams on how to opent the top or any other diagrams what the keys do. Can you help? Mine is the Kimball 770.

700 and 770 are vastly different instruments! One's 1965 and the other's 1978.

Check the obvious - for any screws (even hidden away) that hold the top down. If not, it's likely to be held by spring clips, or it may even slide forward and up.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Firepowerforfreedom View Post
    OK, this isn't so much "what is it worth" so much as it is "what can possibly go wrong?"

I've found a 1967 Kimball Swinger 700 series organ for free on Craigslist.
    G'day,

It's an old Kimball and that in itself says it all - don't waste your time - sooner rather than later you'll be taking it to the landfill where it belongs.

Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

Kimballs generally open with a pull latch that has to be reached by taking the back off. They are usually just a little higher than the back frame above the particle board cover -- on the left as you stand at the back. Pull the latch rod toward you and the top will unlock. Be sure to have a wrist strap ready as later kimballs have a good number of chips that can't take any static. (learned this the hard way -- had an entertainer working up to par and decided I just wasn't happy with the level of dust. Big mistake. After the vacuuming I had nothing but noise!)

I'm a great fan of the synthaswinger voices, especially the reeds. They are quite authentic for a relatively inexpensive instrument. The strings can be nice but can't be played through the Leslie circuit or the sound is very weird. My first experience with one, someone had the Leslie on for the strings and I thought "what a horrible instrument!". It wasn't until I got my own - a 1590 console which is now passed along to a friend - that I learned to register good sounds.

My advice with Kimballs is do as little service as absolutely necessary. Best wishes for happy playing.