Thread: Technics SX-EA-5, one expensive model!

Smile Technics SX-EA-5, one expensive model!

It always makes my day looking at Craigslist here in Tampa Bay Florida......ORGAN Technics SX-EA5 w/bench; excellent condition; LCD graphic panel; built in disk recorder; 14 rhythm groups for 100 sounds; 100 patterns/10 groups; 44 upper/44 lower key board. Original cost $19,000; sacrificing for $3,800.

I just could not contain my joy knowing that I purchased my mint EA-5 for $200.00 a few months ago.

Was it ever $19K in the first place? In Monopoly money, maybe?
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Monopoly money!, I think here in the Tampa Bay area they sold for around 7-8K new. However the old Mall stores really socked it to the Senior citizens when they included the "Free Lessons". Of course most never learned to play except for inserting the MIDI disk. Since we are now in the Christmas season folks are advertising Grandma's old Organ and hoping to get a Christmas windfall because they have the original invoice and also looked at ebay where they saw one listed at a huge price. The seller then will advertise that he saw them "selling" on ebay for the huge price. The facts are most never SELL. Lowrey owners are the most excited when they list "Uncle Harry's" 50k when new model thinking they hit the lotto, only later having their dreams of getting rich crushed .
    Wonderful mint condition used organs for sale here in retirement central but you need to wait a while before making an offer for reality to sink in.

( 'the best of hour' lol... 'the ones that got away', and ' I got one thaaaat big!')

That $200 price seems to trace back to this thread, here is another one for $200 here in Massillon Ohio.
    ...what have we started with our inadvertent price setting?? Like all the times I've mentioned this- " I paid $140 for a $14,000 when new,1981 Hammond Elegante. I looks and plays like new!". It's probably coincidence with that $200 on the Technics. I think most of the time sellers just pick a number from their imagination, which is usually more than fair, but there are the crazies who want $3,000 for an organ you see for free on the other listings. Yeah' they learn quick. My rule of thumb thoug for seller is to never list a good organ for less than $75 or it will invite organ butchers who want to scrap it for the tube amp and speakers, or the copper, etc. And believe me, a scrapper guy that wants a 12 pack will scrap out a perfect organ.
    Anyway here is the link to the Technics...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Org...-/291978647858

Fortunately I have every organ I've ever dreamed of, and ironically I have nary a Hammond tone wheel organ in the bunch. Oh' I've had 10 tone wheel organs from an A100, H182, Rt2, a couple of M3's, etc.. It's interesting though, we all love just about everything the tone wheel organs offer, so why no tone wheel organs? It just worked out that way. Seriously. When you have lots of organs, at times you have to sell one or make room for one. That's the case with me. I had an RT2 as my last tone wheel organ. I had an H182 at the same time. As it went, I got rid of the nice H182 " because I have an RT2...". Had no intention of parting with it, but...

I stumbled into a super clean X66 with TREK 3 Transposer and Leslie 122 kit for even trade on an accordion I had listed. The guy with the X66 came out of the blue and asked me if I'd trade my accordion for the organ. I had less than 3 digits invested in that accordion ( actually got it for $30 via the old Ebay misspelling search engine called SPELLSAVER...the seller had misspelled accordion as accordian, and I paid $40 for shipping from Florida. After seeing the shipping sticker I saw that the seller spent $60 shipping it, so they ended up with probably nothing after the Ebay and Paypal fees).

We win some and lose some, and believe me, as many great deals as I've gotten, I've missed out on a few. The worst was the Hammond Aeolian Hammond player organ, model AB, and a Leslie 30A and 100 Aeolian music rolls, all for $350. the worst part was I told the ladies selling it at their organ stores upcoming going out of business sale, that they could maybe get $1500 or so for it. I should have made them an offer on the spot, but wasn't thinking. I was too excited to go home and play through the WURLITZER BRASS HORN system I just paid them $60 or $80 for. When the sale came up I was there and saw the Hammond player organ, Lelsie 30A, and the rolls were gone. I asked what they got for it, the mom said $350. ANOTHER worst part about it was, I thought that cabinet was a Hammond tone cabinet not a Leslie. Ugh! I knew I could have offered $100 for that Leslie 30A that day and I could have loaded it into my van...fool me.
    I stopped looking for organs since I have such amazing luck...or whatever it's called. I have all I want, and when it's said and done, I have missed a few deals, but not that many. A very exciting hobby! These days I have my hands full restoring the Wurlitzer Series 31 ( it's actually a 1948 model, not 46'. They began making in 46', but I finally found a date stamp on one of the wooden keys.). Such a beautiful design inside and out! Many of the internal designs they borrowed directly from the WURLITZER THEATER PIPE ORGANS. The keying contacts, the same wire harnesses wrapped in black, the same console carpentry techniques. It even has a very large, stout motor for the blower... just about done with the restore, can't wait to play it! I will at last hear staccato technique on a Wurlitzer ELECTROSTATIC KEYED FREE-REED model!
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, 1971 X66/& 12-77 tone cabinet w/ 122 kit & TREK Transposer- of which I've retrofitted a Wurlitzer/Lowrey 'PedAL gLIdE' awesome!
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
    PLEASE SAVE THE WURLITZER ELECTROSTATIC CONTINUOUS-FREE-REED ORGANS 1953'-1961' Hammond TW's ONLY TRUE COMPETITOR! (Ggl> NSHOS WURLI 4600)

Hi Guys n gals,, Im new to this forum so please be gentle with me. I'am 61( yes an old timer) and live in Rotherham Yorkshire Uk. I have had a Technics SX EA3 since the mid 90's, I purchased it brand new (3500 gbp)and its is still going strong, I also purchased a second hand one about 18months ago for 50, yes 50 gbp.(($67)
    Over the weekend there was a second hand SXEA5 on ebay here in the UK, I bid on it and got it for 108 (($145),, it is the organ I originally wanted but could not really afford. My EA3 has been converted to a USB drive (the floppy died) so now I need to convert the SXEA5. The sound on the EA5 is totally different to the EA3 even though they look basically like the same organ. The only thing that I'am disappointed with is that when another istrument is connected via MIDI you cannot control the volume through the volume/ expression pedal, is there a way to do this, ,,??????????

What you need to do is check the MIDI Implementation Chart for both the organ and the receiving instrument.

You're looking to see if the organ transmits Expression data (known as Continuous Controller 11 (sometimes called Control Change 11) - or CC11 for short) and if the receiving instrument will respond to it. You're looking for an 'O' in the relevant column. An 'X' means it's not transmitted / received. You need both to be 'O'. If either one is an 'X' then it won't work and there's nothing that can be done. If both are 'O' and it's not working, there will be a setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted. Your owner's manuals will tell you how, if required.

The Implementation Chart is usually found at the back of the owner's manual.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.