Thread: Wurlitzer Funmaker

Wurlitzer Funmaker

Hello all,

This is my first post, and while I did do a Search I can't seem to find what I'm looking for...
    I just picked up a Wurlitzer Funmaker Super Sprite (Model 400) and was hoping for a little guidance. I realize that some don't consider this model to be one of Wurlitzer's better ideas but its my first one and sounds fun.

I looked everywhere (Vintage Vibe, Google, etc.) but can't seem to find any PDF's of the owner's manual.
    Does anyone know where I can find one?

Sometimes stuff is on eserviceinfo.com but their coverage is spotty. They don't accept anything over 3.5 MB in size.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

Thanks for the heads up indianajo.

Unfortunately, the only thing that turned up in their records for Wurlitzer Funmaker Super Sprite was Dragon Ball Z Legend of Super Saiyan.zip
    I don't even know what that is!

Anyone have a copy laying about they wouldn't mind scanning???

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)

You can buy a copy for probably under $25 from:
    Morelock's Organ Service
    Rienzi, MS
    United States Contact:
    601-462-7611
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Thanks for the number jkrusel.

I've heard that name (Morelock's) thrown around this site as I research more about this Wurlitzer... surprised there isn't more info out there.

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)

This is a father-daughter operation, Dad worked for WurliTzer for years and years and knows an enormous amount about them. They bought out parts, specs, and information when the company went under.

They are super people, her name is Janice, great to work with them.
    Last edited by jkrusel; 11-18-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Hey all. I got this sweet Wurlitzer 545 fun maker from a friend who was throwing it out a few months ago.

Only problems with it really is the lower E's play a higher octave!!?!?! I want to fix this....

scopeless diagnosis

About your lower E's. The only thing that can be said about any 20 year old organ without a scope or schematic diagram, is that the electrolytic capacitors are dried up. These look like little oil tanks for model trains, aluminum cans covered in plastic with a plastic end. Or, the tantalum ones look like peanut M&M's. If you change them all out for new ones, your organ might work better. Or, it might not. Use a WP25 chisel tip iron (not the pointed tip) rosin core tin lead solder (in the western hemisphere, in Europe you are supposed to buy a new organ) and safety glasses. Mark the plus side before removing, if you get them backwards they boil and leak. Match tolerance (+-%) the value (+80-20 ones can be a little bigger) and working voltage (don't go below and no more than 40% higher than the old one). I am pretty sure this organ doesn't have tubes, but unplug it before working and don't wear jewelry, not even a wedding ring. Have fun. You may want a spare funmaker as they are practically free, but any you pick up will have worn out electrolytic capacitors.
    Last edited by indianajo; 12-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

Make that nearly 40 years old. It's all solid state and it sounds like the E divider has gone, schematics are available as mentioned above but will cost more than the organ's worth. Depends on how much you want THIS organ and on your ablilties to fix it. I'd look at the dividers to see if you can fix that simply before attacking the capacitors. Changing them probably won't make any difference to the problem you have.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

IC's work strangely with a the power supply voltage varying around. Electrolytic capacitors stabilize the power supply, unless dried up. However, before spending money, scoring a spare funmaker would be a good move, for the spare parts. Organs this unrespected are usually shown without a brand or identificaton on craigslist, here. As in the ad "free organ, you must move out by the weekend or it is going on the curb."
    An endless supply of free recent bypass quality capacitors is the trash bin of any PC repair shop. Dead PC power supplies are instant trash and a lot of them get replaced at $29 each, but are chock full of low voltage low precision electrolytic capacitors. I'm cut one up last week to chase the hum out of my $15 disco mixer and make it sound like a $200 preamp.
    Last edited by indianajo; 12-07-2010 at 06:47 PM.