Thread: Allen ADC 4100 replacement battery

Allen ADC 4100 replacement battery

I need to replace the rechargeable battery on our Allen ADC 4100. Does anyone know what battery I should use and where to get one, or rather a pair as they appear to be two AA NiCad's held together by a plastic housing. Thank you!

Get them at Walmart in the section where they sell replacement battery packs for cordless phones (not cell phones, cordless handsets that have the base unit attached to a landline). They are already shrink-wrapped and you may only need to splice in a longer wire. Best to place the battery pack in the floor of the organ rather than mounted on the pc board, for safety in case it leaks.

You'll need a 2-cell AA pack for the memory board, but also replace the 3-cell pack on the USAV board in the cage. You have to pull the card out of the cage to do this, and again, don't put the new pack on the pc board. Add a long pair of wires and put the batteries in the floor. Bend up a corner of the cage cover to allow the wire to exit without being pinched.

You may find the battery pack has leaked on the USAV board, and if so, look for a thread on this forum all about repairing the cage and the boards when this happens.

Good luck!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 ........ at last!
    Home: Allen MADC-420 ...........finally!
    Shop: More organs than I can count.... some working, many not!
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Thank you John! Are there any online (or downloadable) diagrams that indicate where the USAV board and cage are? I found the double-pack "tie-wrapped" on the board that is next to the back panel. There are various cages inside the organ. I think there are two on the right and two on the left as you're facing the innards from behind the organ.
    Sam
    -----
    Kurzweil PC88, Yamaha SY99, Roland D-50, EMU Proteus module, Korg 707, EMU SP-12

Hi John, I found pics of the battery replacement procedure on the adc 4300. I assume the procedure is similar for the 4100? Are the Wal-Mart batteries available in dual and triple packs, and are they in series (2.4 and 3.6v) or parallel?
    Thanks again!
    Sam
    -----
    Kurzweil PC88, Yamaha SY99, Roland D-50, EMU Proteus module, Korg 707, EMU SP-12

Sam,
    Yes, Walmart should have both 2-cell and 3-cell packs. Today's batteries are more efficient, so if you see a pack that contains AAA cells instead of AA, that will work as well. All such packs have the cells in series and will provided either 2.4 or 3.6 volts.

The cage in question is the big horizontal aluminum cage with a flat metal cover and a small hole for tuning. Removing the cover you will see about 15 or 20 cards plugged into a backplane. One of them near the right hand end will be a USAV-1 or -2 and will have a 3-cell battery pack on it. Be sure to always put boards back where they came from because each slot is wired for the particular board it contains.

I'd suggest very carefully pulling each board, coating the card-edge connector with a one-molecule film of Vaseline, and re-inserting. The rows of mini-pots on these boards are for the various voicing controls, and adjusting them will make rather radical changes in the organ. The "G" ("gain") controls sometimes get intermittent and cause stops or groups of stops to drop out. The cure is to gently turn them back and forth and settle them back to the position you found them in.

Good luck. The 4100 is a very nice organ.
    John
    ----------
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    Add a long pair of wires and put the batteries in the floor. Bend up a corner of the cage cover to allow the wire to exit without being pinched.
    John,

Nice to see you back, contributing to the Forum again. This, during your busy season!

I did have a question about the repair you're suggesting. What gauge wire would you suggest using to go from the AV-1 board to the battery pack? Also, I would assume polarity matters when connecting to 2 of the 6 wires that are cut to take the battery pack off the board?

Great to see you back.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DKC / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Michael,

Good to be back. Not sure how much contributing I'll do, as I seem to spend too much time on the forum once I get started! (I guess you read my post in the "home organ" section a couple of weeks ago where I told about leaving my long-time church position, which is part of the reason for my not posting lately, just too bummed out at the moment.)

The gauge of the wire is not critical. I use some 20 gauge wire that I got at Radio Shack that is sold as "speaker wire" though it's too small for any kind of critical speaker usage. It has one conductor tinned and the other one left copper, so keeping track of polarity is easy.

When you remove the pack from the USAV board, it may be attached to the board in 6 places, but only 2 of the connections are actually "live." The others merely serve as jumpers between the cells. If you take a close look at the board you'll see what I mean. So the two connections to the ends of the string of cells are the two that must be connected to your new wire that goes down to the off-board battery pack. Be absoutely sure that you connect the positive one to the positive terminal (normally the red wire, but test with your voltmeter to be sure) of the new battery pack. The other end of the string of cells will have been connected to a ground pad, and that pad should be connected to the negative end of the new battery pack.

If in doubt, go ahead and solder your new wires to the USAV board, then put the board in the cage and turn on the organ, but don't connect the other end of the wire to the battery pack yet. You can use your meter to check the voltage at the end of the wires, and the one that carries about +5 is the one that should go to the positive terminal of the battery pack.

Good luck!
    John
    ----------