Thread: Knobs on Yamaha electone D 85 not working

Smile Knobs on Yamaha electone D 85 not working

Hi! Is there anyone here who knows how I can reach the knobs for Upper/Lower special and custom presets. Right now none of them working on one of my D85īs. That is they dont work when pressing them down to lower manual. Even when I do so I donīt hear it in upper manual either. Is it just something wrong with the knob or is there something more difficult? Do I reach the knobs/levers from inside or can I just lift the whole upper part? ( The screws seem to be a little hard to reach because they are placed underneath toward the second manual. ) Anyone who knows and can help? I would be VERY greatful!

I've actually got my d-85 apart for the same problem at the moment. I've uploaded a video on youtube describing how to gain access to the circuit boards.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPwdM0qKEzE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPwdM0qKEzE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My d-85 has the same problem atm plus a few others. I sent it away to a technician who after replacing a few ic's was unable to fix the problem and now the upper flutes have stopped working.

So i'm now trying to see what i can learn and maybe do without damaging it.

So far i've learned that many of the IC's in this era of yamaha organ have build defects and most can be replaced by new versions, except for the yamaha ic's which you can only salvage off wrecked organs. Also alot of the capacitors apparently were not designed to last more then 15 years.
    Since i'm am not a technician and only have a very basic knowlage of electronics I am just going to continue researching what i can before I have a go at swapping out all replacable end of life components.
    I beleave parts of the organ have to be recalibrated when new components are put in.
    I'm actually thinking about doing an electronics course just because of this organ.

Thank You! Very good and illustrative video! And i openend it but could not "see" any wrong with it. Took it apart and then put it together again- still not working, the custom voice knob. Hmmmm At least one good thing with the opening: The touch vibrato on the solomanual started to work again! (Analog service technic.....bang bang and it`s working again... I like that! )
    Do you know if it is the same technic to open the lower manuals? I think I have a little problem with the orchestra respons too.... Thanks again!

With the lower keyboards you will find long bolts that go from underneath the keyboards on both left and right above where your knees would be. they will both hinge.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you very much! Do you have the service manual for D 85 or do you know where to buy it?

email me yr address to jjh281@gmail.com - and will sort thanks