Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammond CV

Hammond CV

Hello there! It's been a while since my last login!

Anyways, I just bought a Hammond CV. How would I lock the TG on this old organ before I move it? And how would I go about taking the pedals off for transport? Is there anything else I should do before I transport it?

Also, the CV is the same as a B3 right- just no percussion?
    Last edited by LeslieSpeaker; 08-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Open the back of the organ. Take notice where the tone generator is...look deep and you will see it hangs off of 4 springs, one in each corner. Now, look underneath the the main body, and you will see 4 small bolt heads going through what looks like a small disc, located near each corner of the tone generator. They actually have a spacer built into them, so that when the organ is set up to play, these bushings allow the tone generator to float on the springs to keep all the mechanical noise from being transmitted through the case. To transport the organ, remove all 4 bolts,flip the bushings over so that the flat part is against the wood, and the bolt head is against the smaller end. Now reinstall them in the same holes, and tighten them down. You now will be tightening the tone generator against the wood, so it doesn't flop around while you are moving it.
    To remove the pedals, just lift the inside edge..( closest to the center of the organ..) both ends at the same time...and pull back. There are no fasteners, there is just a locating pin at each end of the pedalboard that drops into 2 holes in the pedal keyswitch lower rail. Be VERY careful reinserting the pedal board...it is easy to jam up one of those little springy pusher tabs if you don't engage both sides evenly and carefully.
    The CV is similar to a B-3, but there's more to it than just no percussion. Some of our seasoned Hammond pro's can tell you all the differences..the vibrato system is somewhat different, and I believe you have vibrato on both keyboards, or none..they're not seperate.
    Hope that's enough info to get it home! Good luck! Tim
    1963 C-3 147 Leslie
    1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
    Kurzweil K 2000

Thanks for the speedy reply! In any event, this is an upgrade from what I already have- an M3. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I want something that'ls a bit closer to a B3. It'll also be nice to have the foldback and lower octaves!

CV's are very underrated!

While there are difference between that and the B3/C3 Series, an addition of percussion is ultimately the huge difference. Volume Tabs, and split vibrato aren't that big of a deal.

What kind of leslie are you connecting it to?

Got and pics?

Have fun with it, hope you have a safe transport!

Also, Tim, CV's didnt have the TWG locks like their future descendants.

A simple socket will work. No flipping things around.

Get under the organ, and you'll see four large bolts. Tighten them with the proper size socket or adjustable wrench. I usually go in an ex pattern so its nice and even. Don't go too crazy on tightening, but make sure theyre really, really snug. Dont damage the wood.
    Last edited by 8painting; 08-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    My Gear:
    '61 RT-3
    '55 M3
    Roland VK-8
    3 122 Leslies
    Neo Ventilator
    Gibson Firebird V
    Fender Esquire w/ B-Bender

My CV has TWG locks like Tim described. They are accessed from under the front of the organ.
    Hammond A-100 qty. 2, Hammond RT3, Hammond CV, Hammond Solovox, Hammond PR-40 qty. 2, Hammond auto-vari 64 qty. 3, Leslie 122RV, Leslie 21h w/2 speed mod, Hammond XB2, Roland VK-8M, Fender Rhodes suitcase piano 88, Rhodes Stage piano 88, Rhodes home piano, Korg SV1, Alesis QS-8, Kawai Baby grand, Wurlitzer 200A, Komplete 7

8painting, I am connecting to a Leslie 900- one of their proline models that comes in two separate cabs for easy transport. The treble section is in one cab while the bass workings and amps are in the bottom cab. Stack the two together and you've got a Leslie 900. But the basic principles are still the same: horn and driver, then bass speaker and wooden rotor. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of anything yet.

It sounds like you may have an older CV that has the BOOMING bass!!! The reason I am saying this is because your tone wheel locks are different than mine and my CV was the 899th from the last one built and it had the same bass (last octave) characteristics as the B3. I believe that are two differences between the older and newer CVs.

1. The last ocatve (on the 16' drawbar) folds back at a different point. FYI- newer CV's fold back at the lowest B key.

2. The volume of the 16' tone on the lowest octave is quieter on the newer CVs. I think I may not be exactly correct on this. I am thinking that on either organ, the "folded back" tones are quieter on both organs and its just a matter of where the notes start folding back. I am not sure tho because I only own a newer CV and not an older one.
    My name is Steve and I am an organaholic

My Baby B3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJCpoUI_Lk

The Goods
    B3 organ and Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes 88, Hohner Clavinet C, Moog MINIMOOOOOG, Arp Omni, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha CS50, Arp Pro/DGX, Prophet 08, Baldwin Digital, RE-201 Roland Space Echo

Spare stuff
    Super chopped M3, B2 w/ Trek II Perc, Govt. Issue CV (G), C2 w/ Trek II Perc, X25?, Modded CV3, BV, 1 stock M3, The Piper (lol), Leslie 31H, Leslie 125, two Leslie 145's

The lower octave folds back at the B just like my RT3, but the volume does not drop off as much, so the foldover point isn't as noticable on my CV.
    Hammond A-100 qty. 2, Hammond RT3, Hammond CV, Hammond Solovox, Hammond PR-40 qty. 2, Hammond auto-vari 64 qty. 3, Leslie 122RV, Leslie 21h w/2 speed mod, Hammond XB2, Roland VK-8M, Fender Rhodes suitcase piano 88, Rhodes Stage piano 88, Rhodes home piano, Korg SV1, Alesis QS-8, Kawai Baby grand, Wurlitzer 200A, Komplete 7

Well, I do know that my serial number is 19814....would that be one of the models with the 'booming' bass? I want to say that it was made in 1947.

There is a serial number list on the tone wheel general website/store. That can tell you a little more about its age. But the best way to tell if your bass is different is. To see where the 16' drawbar folds back on the lowest octave. If the tone folds back at the B note, than the bass is "bot booming" and instead shares the same bass characteristics as a b3. You will also notice the note gets way quieter when it folds back. When the bass is diffent than a B3, the foldback of the bass happens at a lower point (somewhere around the G key or something). This is like this because the tonewheel actually has more tones on it and the extra tones are used for those extra bass notes that aren't folding back. I am not sure if it gets quieter when the notes acutally foldback tho.

Btw, if anyone is in michigan, I noticed a young guy that comes on here (and gave me a free H195) just posted a CV on craigslist in Holland, MI for $450. I've seen it before and it looks nice. And in my opinion that is a decent price for one. Of course, I called him and told him he should try and sell it for a little more. It should go fast, but he lives in the middle of nowhere.
    My name is Steve and I am an organaholic

My Baby B3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJCpoUI_Lk

The Goods
    B3 organ and Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes 88, Hohner Clavinet C, Moog MINIMOOOOOG, Arp Omni, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha CS50, Arp Pro/DGX, Prophet 08, Baldwin Digital, RE-201 Roland Space Echo

Spare stuff
    Super chopped M3, B2 w/ Trek II Perc, Govt. Issue CV (G), C2 w/ Trek II Perc, X25?, Modded CV3, BV, 1 stock M3, The Piper (lol), Leslie 31H, Leslie 125, two Leslie 145's