Thread: Mega-Harmonium for sale in Sea/Tac Washington

Mega-Harmonium for sale in Sea/Tac Washington

Hold on, this is the biggest harmonium I've ever seen, and I have seen 3MP M&amp;H's and a Dumont-Lelièvre choralion church harmonium, and this easily surpasses! </p>

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/1782449714.html

Get this, it's $100. Forty stops. I'm making a wild guess that it could have over 1000 reeds.</p>

Move fast, the CL listings tend to disappear, which is why I saved the pic; I may never see anything like this again.
    </p>

Casey
    </p>
    1891 II/9 Vocalion; 1866 II/4 Mason & Hamlin; 1891 Mason & Hamlin style 902 two manual Liszt Organ; 1906 Estey V-65 Philharmonic; 1915 Mason & Hamlin Liszt; 1915 Mason & Hamlin 93 BF; 1910 Mason & Hamlin 108AE
    http://masonhamlinorgans.com/

Re: Mega-Harmonium for sale in Sea/Tac Washington

Hallo Casey,</P>

Wow! That certainly is one heck of an instrument; if it was over here I'd snap it up right now. My wife tells me that the old piano we used to own, and which she brought with her when we married back in 1969, was of the same make. It came up from Devon to Surrey ( 2 English counties)on the back of a coal truck when it passed from her aunt into her side of the family. It had a warped soundboard, due to the fact that the aunt's lodgers used to pour beer inside it as they stood around it, singing! And the piano tuner said it was one of the very earliest with an iron frame, all of which has nothing whatever to do with harmoniums but I thought you might be interested anyway! The piano still lives on; after we bought our modern Clavinova a friend of ours, a restorer, took it from us and did a good job on it, bringing back to as-new. I guess he then sold it on, so it's still out there somewhere.</P>

I just wonder what that organ weighs? Any rot in your floor and it'd end up in the cellar!</P>

Regards,</P>

Mark.</P>

I asked for a stop list. If it has mutations and a principal chorus etc I'm going to drive up and look at it. I have no room for it but would hat to pass up a significant instrument.
    Jesse Hargus
    Portland, OR

Free reed instruments seldom need mixtures; a few pedal organs had quint stops for synthetic 32', and there's the occasional 2 2/3', because they are so "rich in overtones" to begin with, most builders were attempting to make the sound less strident/assertive, not more.</p>

You will probably find lots of 16' and 8' registers, a few 4' and hopefully a 2' principal on each manual. Then the 2', 8' and 16' celeste stops. a loud 16' reed , and a 32' reed.</p>

16, 8, 4 principal chorus is assured, on each manual, but with differing scales.</p>

There may be several different prolonguement mechanisms. There may be imaginitive shemes for pneumatically enhancing the highest not or lowest note of the line. Hopefully there is percussion on the lower manual 8' flute/english horn.</p>

I found out that Schied. built a 2m Harmonium/Celesta , but the one I saw had just a single row of 20 or so stops, with the upper manual playing the tuned metal bars. Certainly a great instrument, but I think that this is much, much more. </p>

The Dumont-Lelievre concern built some grand church harmoniums with double-tongue reed ranks for some kind of ethereal effects, perhaps here as well.</p>

Casey
    </p>
    1891 II/9 Vocalion; 1866 II/4 Mason & Hamlin; 1891 Mason & Hamlin style 902 two manual Liszt Organ; 1906 Estey V-65 Philharmonic; 1915 Mason & Hamlin Liszt; 1915 Mason & Hamlin 93 BF; 1910 Mason & Hamlin 108AE
    http://masonhamlinorgans.com/

Yes.....PLEASE go for it! This instrument has to be saved, so get it first and decide what to do with it later! There's always someone out there who will take an instrument.</P>

Regards,</P>

Mark.</P>

He contacted me back last night and said a collector from LA already had it picked up. Would have been a fun project.
    Jesse Hargus
    Portland, OR