Thread: Best source for Catholic mass music

Best source for Catholic mass music

I'm new to the site. As a classically trained pianist, I have been commissioned to soon provide the organ music at mass. I am currently taking lessons. I'd like to start learning the mass components now. Can anyone direct me to best source for organ music for the Catholic mass?

Re: Best source for Catholic mass music

Hi Tony,

</p>

A very good place to start, and its totally free as it only hosts stuff that is out of copyright, is the Choral Public Domain website. There are plenty of mass settings and a large sacred music collection that should keep you busy for some time.</p>

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page </p>

Another one is the Werner Icking archive, but it'd give CPDL a serious look first.</p>

http://icking-music-archive.org/index.php</p>

Good luck!
    </p>

Nu
    </p>
    1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
    Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

What service music does the church use now? The assembly will be expecting one setting that they know, as will the priest. After you're comfy, you may want to introduce another one, after consultation with the powers that be.</P>

Our small parish uses "Mass of Creation", "Celtic Mass"; parts of the "Jesuits Mass", "Mass of Remembrance" with most of a setting written by a local priest years ago. Currently we are introducing the "Chant Mass" to be in compliance with the USCCB and Rome in using a setting that is in Latin so as to not forget Latin!</P>

P.S. I'm in Southern Indiana, about 40 minutes from Clarksville's Wal-Mart.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

If you are interested, I havethe old 1994 accompaniment books for "Gather, Second Edition", 2 4-inch binders, that I do not use anymore. They contain the following mass settings:</P>

"Mass of Creation", "Mass of Light", "Mass of Remembrance", "Psallite Mass", and "Mass for the Life of the World".</P>

If you would like these books, they are yours.</P>

Mary Carolyn</P>

We use liturgical hymns old and new by Kevin Mathew over a 1000 pages of hymns chants responsorial pslms etc. Has categories for different types of services too in an index, as well as complete mass compilations. The congregation have a smaller book with just the lyrics.