Thread: Yamaha B-12 IR organ

Yamaha B-12 IR organ

</p>

I am wondering if this is worth anything? I inherited it from my aunt and I remember her having it when I visited as far back as 1972. It may be even older than that. It's in excellent condition, with a bench. </p>

Thanks for your help!
    </p>

Re: Yamaha B-12 IR organ

No, not really. Late 70s, transistor, entry level spinet. Free is fair, or $25, maybe. The real trick is finding somebody who wants it taking up space in their house.</p>
    Tonewheels, frequency modulation, analog and digital circuits, tubes, strings, reeds, and tines. Too many keyboards.

Re: Yamaha B-12 IR organ

Thanks for your help!

Contrary to the folks who have previously replied to you, this organ once sold for upwards of $2500. It is made from quality components that you won't find in many organs built today. It is 1970's vintage, and makes a great piece of furniture, even if you never play it.

I bought one of these a week ago for $150, and would have gone as high as $500. It was donated to a charity, and they were selling it to raise funds. I bought it before it went to auction, where I would have paid more. I have seen two of these selling for $25 to $50, and cannot believe people are selling it at that price. We had one in our family for years.

Also, at one time, these were sold by Heathkit as a kit to build your own. I worked for Heathkit, and built a few of these myself for Customers who couldn't built it for themselves.

Keep the wood properly maintained, and you will soon be looking at antique vales for this organ. I spoke to a few antique dealers who told me that if I kept it for another 5 to 10 years, it would sell as an antique for more than it sold when new.

People come into my home, and when they see it, have to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrinka View Post
    I remember her having it when I visited as far back as 1972. It may be even older than that.
    G'day Katrinka,

You're pretty close, B12R was released in 1970, B12 is the model, "I" is the cabinet style (Italian), & "R" means auto rhythm. When new it retailed here in Australia for AUD$1395. It's current value would depend on your location, but I reckon Dave has it pegged.

Cheers,

Ian

Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

1970 model. Value in the the UK, maybe 10, probably zero.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaButinski View Post
    I spoke to a few antique dealers who told me that if I kept it for another 5 to 10 years, it would sell as an antique for more than it sold when new.
    This seems to be a common misconception when it comes it to valuing used organs. Antiques dealers quite regularly overestimate the market value of old organs, precisely because they approach them as antiques rather than as musical instruments. This leads them to consider two factors above all: a) age, and b) condition; much as if they were evaluating an antique credenza or the like.

In reality with musical instruments the important factors seem to be: a) brand name cachet -- which is generally the question of whether anyone famous played that make & model, on a hit recording; b) technology, i.e., whether there's something special about the way the instrument generates sound, or its playing features/ergonomics, that makes it difficult or impractical to replicate with modern manufacturing techniques; c) condition, to include completeness (i.e. whether all the parts and accessories are still there.) We might also add d) whether the instrument in question was aimed at the professional market, or as in this case, at the home/beginner/student market.

Add to this the fact that electronics in general aren't considered antique until 60 years from the date of manufacture, and... unfortunately, this Yamaha won't even begin to qualify as a valuable antique until, er, 2030... though thankfully it'll serve as a great piece of furniture during the decades-long wait...
    Last edited by toasterDude; 10-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Heh... here's another way to look at it, I guess:

http://freeorgansusa.blogspot.com/20...tor-organ.html

(Scroll down to "Chopping a Transistor Organ")

...Perhaps when considering questions of value we shouldn't forget to include "comedic"!

td