Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wersi Beta DX 400

Room acoustics and speaker responses are the largest variation in any room, which is why unless you have properly setup pro speakers, the internal audio recording will sound nothing like what you hear in the room, hence you must always use high quality headphones when setting up for recordings. (This applies to all instruments that use speakers)

If you listen to YouTube videos of organs/keyboards, you will find that 95% of the ones that sound the best, have either been professional done, or the user is wearing headphones. (The worst ones being recorded with phones or camcorder mics)

If you want to use speakers to setup your recording you will need to use something like thishttps://www.roomeqwizard.com/ to set everything up properly first. (Also, available as a VST Effect http://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm ) to balance the internal speakers as well as external speakers.

NOTE: While the EQ in an instrument can help, it is normally too basic to be really effective.

Hope this helps

Bill

Seamaster - DV247 tried to advise to go 700 with external non-Vocalis speakers, but I was pig headed and wanted the 800, as I thought they couldn't be that bad, but they were. Still, I do have the flexibility now to have both, which I couldn't have done if I had gone for the 700 (non-LS version).

Bill, to pick up on your point, if I were doing this for anything other than pleasure and fun, I would go about this all differently, but as it is I am using it in a home lounge environment, and whilst happy not to have 100% accurate recordings vs playback, the internals were just nothing like the recording, and distorted at anything other than mid level sound. When the Sonic first arrived, it was so bad I thought it was defective, and had to play around changing factory defaults for output EQ just so that it didn't distort. They really should have tweaked those factory defaults to remove distortion.

The Adam's aren't perfect, primarily because I have them in a lounge environment with carpets, curtains, sofa's etc, but, they are an order of magnitude better than the Wersi speakers (internal or Vocalis) and I for one am absolutely delighted with them. With hindsight, I should have gone for the 700 non-LS and these Adam's, but got such a good price on the 800, that I am not too bothered.

I know that some other owners have the A7X Adam's, with a sub, but I can assure you that the A8X's don't need a sub, and can really kick out some bass (and they were a bargain!)

Hope that helps
    Mark

I now have the said organ in my possession, having dismantled it to fit into my saloon car.
    The top seemed to be fastened to the base by a wooden batten screwed to each part from the inside, but on removing the battens it was still firmly attached to the base. It was located by dowels and glued for good measure. The sides, bottom panel and front speaker panel were held together with a form of knockdown connector, but again, located with dowels and glued. To cut a long story short, using a little brute force all the glue bonds gave way without doing any damage.
    It is now re-assembled without the glue.
    Of course, I would be a lot more reluctant to attack it in this way had I paid more than the nominal 10 for it. With the 10 price tag it also came with a disabling fault. On switching on there was a 'plop, plop, plop about once a second from the speakers. This proved to be caused by a dodgy plug-socket connection from transformer to power amp board. All plugs and sockets now cleaned!
    Current status.
    Powers on, goes through self test, indicates v7.0 (software version ?), and plays.
    All registrations seem to be the same (lost after not powering on for many months ? )
    Some pedals not working , contacts likely to require a good cleaning. Pedal caps show no sign of wear so maybe previous owner didn't use them.
    Rhythm seems to be extremely garbled. Further investigation required
    Main CPU card is MST-4
    It only has 4 slavecards. Presumably the only effect of this will be reduced polyphony?
    A dozen or so cassettes were included .
    The fun begins
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    As car salesmen say, "They all do that, sir."

They were like that new!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I now have the said organ in my possession, having dismantled it to fit into my saloon car.
    The top seemed to be fastened to the base by a wooden batten screwed to each part from the inside, but on removing the battens it was still firmly attached to the base. It was located by dowels and glued for good measure. The sides, bottom panel and front speaker panel were held together with a form of knockdown connector, but again, located with dowels and glued. To cut a long story short, using a little brute force all the glue bonds gave way without doing any damage.
    It is now re-assembled without the glue.
    Of course, I would be a lot more reluctant to attack it in this way had I paid more than the nominal 10 for it. With the 10 price tag it also came with a disabling fault. On switching on there was a 'plop, plop, plop about once a second from the speakers. This proved to be caused by a dodgy plug-socket connection from transformer to power amp board. All plugs and sockets now cleaned!
    Current status.
    Powers on, goes through self test, indicates v7.0 (software version ?), and plays.
    All registrations seem to be the same (lost after not powering on for many months ? )
    Some pedals not working , contacts likely to require a good cleaning. Pedal caps show no sign of wear so maybe previous owner didn't use them.
    Main CPU card is MST-4
    It only has 4 slavecards. Presumably the only effect of this will be reduced polyphony?
    A dozen or so cassettes were included .
    The fun begins
    Ian
    From memory, there are no built-in rhythms or Total Pre-sets, they must be loaded in from cassette, however once loaded the Backup battery will keep them in place.

MST4 means you have the AMS system which gives you 4 times the total number of user Total Pre-sets, User Sounds and Styles, (I think you select the bank using the W, E, R & S buttons) you should also have a second set of Rom sounds, which can be bought up by pressing the sound buttons twice. (This feature must be switched on using the appropriate code in the back of the manual)

4 slaves mean you have 20 note polyphony, (Maximum number was 5 slaves) there were also an upgraded drum sound (16 bit samples) & Reverb (8 types instead of 4 + it was 16 bit) boards available, which may or may not be fitted to yours.

You will need the manual to get the best out of it, as a lot of the features are accessed via codes, also, the drawbars are treated as a voice which will not sound until you press the next note. (Moving them without playing a new note will not change the sound)
    NOTE: Program voices still allow you to alter the drawbars, whereas Computer voices store whatever they were set at the time.

Have fun

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by abacus View Post
    From memory, there are no built-in rhythms or Total Pre-sets, they must be loaded in from cassette, however once loaded the Backup battery will keep them in place.

MST4 means you have the AMS system which gives you 4 times the total number of user Total Pre-sets, User Sounds and Styles, (I think you select the bank using the W, E, R & S buttons) you should also have a second set of Rom sounds, which can be bought up by pressing the sound buttons twice. (This feature must be switched on using the appropriate code in the back of the manual)

4 slaves mean you have 20 note polyphony, (Maximum number was 5 slaves) there were also an upgraded drum sound (16 bit samples) & Reverb (8 types instead of 4 + it was 16 bit) boards available, which may or may not be fitted to yours.

You will need the manual to get the best out of it, as a lot of the features are accessed via codes, also, the drawbars are treated as a voice which will not sound until you press the next note. (Moving them without playing a new note will not change the sound)
    NOTE: Program voices still allow you to alter the drawbars, whereas Computer voices store whatever they were set at the time.

Have fun

Bill

Thanks for that information
    Presumably my battery had discharged thus losing data.
    Time to dust off the old cassette recorder, and check the cassettes.
    Presumably after loading from cassette I could save to PC via RS232 (after cobbling together a small program) and then load from this in future ?

I have several manuals as follows....
    AM 333 Bill Horn User's guide DX400/500
    AM 333.2 DX400/500User's Guide PART 2
    AM 334 Technical Data DX 400/500
    EXPANDER FOR DX400/500 (10 pages)
    WERSI SOFTWARE INFORMATION. Software-Update for AMS-System DX 4/500
    THE WAVEBAND ORGANS USER'S GUIDE FOR WERSI DX400 AND DX500. PART ONE - ORGAN VOICING. (51 pages)
    These will keep me busy for a few hours

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have all the manuals for the Beta. I believe I also have some spare copies if you may need one/them. Just send me a private message if you like.

I only had a very few sound files for mine. Would you happen to have the Theater Organ tape? If so, would you mind sharing the data file with me?
    I had tried to get that from Wersi in PA, but they never came through successfully. The only copy they had, got lost in the mail!

Check all your cables and connectors. My pedals were funky, until I traced the cable to the circuit board near the LM where it plugs in.. and I just made sure it was plugged in well. That fixed my problem. It *might* be that simple for you.. or...

I have the MST-4 boards in both my Beta and Delta. The Delta has the better sampled drums chip.
    Each of the slave cards contains 4 notes of polyphony [20 note poly total with 5 slave cards].
    I also think I have a few spare slave cards if you might want one..?

BTW, Wersi mentioned to me that I can replace my on-board battery with one made from 2 AA batteries [I used rechargable's] and I put them in a plastic Radio Shack battery holder - which I soldered to the circuit board after removing the bad battery.
    It's a cheap and better way than getting an exact replacement for the one in the organ. Just charge the batteries first, and then use them.

I have both service and user manuals for the organ. I also might have a spare User manual by Bill Horn.. which makes setting up and using the organ easier than Wersi's stuff. Bill's is very user-friendly!

Welcome to the world of Wersi! If I can help in any way, let me know..

marc
    Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
    Thomas Floridian Classic -- aka Wersi Rondo Classic
    Kimball K800 'Fascination' Theater Organ
    Conn 650 - Type 1 with Conn Pipes - Model #145
    Baldwin Cinema 2 (214-DR)
    Wersi Spectra DX 700 CD - LiveStyle, Memory Tower
    Wersi Beta DX400 TS - (with AMS)
    Wersi Delta DX 500 - (with AMS)
    Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!
    MOOG Eterwave Standard Theremin
    Roland GAIA SH-01 Virtual Analog Synthesizer