Thread: Conn 652 - common parts with other models.

Conn 652 - common parts with other models.

Hi,</p>

I have recently acquired a conn 652 which, as they all seem to, needs some attention. The power supply has seen better days with a number of diodes damaged and I suspect requiring some or all of the capacitors replacing. (Loud buzzing sound on power up) Seeing an Ebay advert for various bits from a Conn 551 I am wondering what if any components are common across the range with particular interest in the power amp and any other bits that have the potential to cause problems.</p>

Thanks in advance.</p>

</p>

Gareth
    </p>

Re: Conn 652 - common parts with other models.

Hi garethep. I was sort of waiting for someone here of more technical knowledge to answer you question. However, at the moment, I seem to be the only one willing to jump out of the frying pan, into the fire!</P>

The Conn 652 is, of course, a big organ. The 551 is a spinet organ. I think you will find quite a few differences in the amplifiers of these two organs.</P>

If you want to be absolutely sure of matching and non-matching components...you could google over to Organ Service Corporation.com. These folks carry all the Conn parts and schematics. You could purchase a service manual for each model organ, then research the 551 circuits to see if they are identical to your 652. Without the helpful knowledge of a Conn technician, this would be one way of finding out for sure.</P>

I love my Conn organs, and enjoy playing them. Unfortunately, service technicians in my area are not working much on Conns these days, so I have to resort to a lot of telephoning to make repairs myself.</P>

I'm no expert on Conns, and certainly not an electronics technician. But if I can help you with some issues, please drop me a private message.</P>

Jay,</p>

</p>

Thanks for the reply. A service manual is top of the list of things to get and I don't envisage any problems rebuilding the amp if needs be but it has been "bodged" in the past and I was just wondering if there are any shortcuts. The organ was bought because it was local and could be delivered which is important for these things and my electrical skills are better than my cabinet making so if all else fails I'll just use it as a MIDI controller although a big part of its appeal is the original circuitry so I don't want to make anything worse than it is at the moment. </p>

</p>

Cheers</p>

</p>

Gareth
    </p>

Gareth...it's great that you have the electronic skills to make repairs to the instrument. Wish you lived next door to me...I'd keep you off the streets, believe me!</P>

The most typical things that are wrong with most Conns of your instrument's vintage has to do with the edge connectors of the circuit boards. If you heat those areas up it will clean up a lot of your problems. The other common problem has to do with key and stop contacts oxidizing. If you patiently stick a piece of paper between the contact and the busses...then depress the key so the contact pushes down on the paper (and the buss rod)...then pull the paper out...this will usually correct most of your contact problems.</P>

The Conn 652 is a wonderful organ. Once you get it going I'm sure you will be thrilled with it. Stay in touch and let us know how you are progressing.</P>

Very best wishes...</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Having acquired the Conn 551 bits described above I have salvaged various bits of interest including the swell pedal and keyer rods but I now have a load of bits that I wont need such as tone generators, a load of keys and various other boards. I would like to see as many bits as possible used so if anyone needs any spares for their project let me know.</p>

</p>

Cheers</p>

</p>

Gareth
    </p>