View Poll Results: How Religious Are You?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a believer and regularly attend worship services

66 51.56%
  • I am believer and attend worship services several times a year

0 0%
  • I am believer but do no attend worship services

7 5.47%
  • My spirituality lies outside that of organized religion

17 13.28%
  • I am an agnostic

10 7.81%
  • I am an atheist

23 17.97%
  • It's none of your business

5 3.91%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: How many of you are actually religious?

I am for people who do not know I am a Church of Christ (A Capella) follower, I believe that instruments do not belong in worship. My Church as no ties with the Normans we a very small fellowship (we have no central office either), we do however, have a few celebrities to our name,
    Ken Star (prosecutor against Bill Clinton).
    Maybe Ted Poe (great senator from the state of Texas) I got to do more research on this.
    Manny others that i have yet to do work on.

Ben,

The "a capella" Church of Christ is big here in central Arkansas. Several large congregations in the area. One that I drive past on the way to my church, and they seem to be bursting at the seams. I think there are folks who are drawn just for the a capella singing, as it completely obviates the issues about praise bands.

My church (Disciples) of course is one of the modern branches of the Church of Christ (Stone/Campbell) movement. Besides the a capella branch, we also have some "independent" Christian Churches here, and I know one of the pastors very well. They too are a branch of the Stone/Campbell movement, fairly close in theology and practice to the a capella group, but they went rogue at some point and brought in instruments.

As a side note, just a few blocks from my DOC church there was one of the independent congregations, and they have closed in the past month or so due to declining numbers and income. The sign in front of their building, now for sale, says they merged with the large a capella church that I pass by every Sunday. So I guess that group just gained some more members.

According to my friend who is pastor of one of the "independent" churches, we DOC churches are considered the "liberal high-church" branch. Of course I take that as a compliment!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Looking at this again, I see another major flaw in the poll. For believers, the pollster seems to equate the question "How religious are you?" with "How often do you attend worship?" There is also a false assumption that non-believers don't attend worship, as they aren't given the same options that believers are given. Perhaps a grid system would have been more interesting, if worship attendance is the only activity being measured. Put (non-)believer status down the side of the grid, and worship attendance frequency across the top.

It's interesting to note that prayer, bible reading, doing religious study, charitable work, etc, are not included as a measure of how religious one might be.

One might also ask "How spiritual are you?" or "How ethical are you?" Two very different questions from "How religious are you?"

I think the problem may be that many of us, myself included, got off into answering what we "thought" was the question being asked instead of what the pollster really wanted to know. If you take the question at face value -- "How many of you are actually religious?" -- the options offered are quite appropriate. I, for example, chose the first option, because I do call myself a believer and I do attend services regularly. If I were less active in church, I might have chosen the second or third option. And if I had a different spiritual opinion of myself, I would have chosen one of the remaining options.

However, my comments on the thread, like many others, seem to be in answer to a different question, namely "Do you really believe what the church where you play teaches, and do you live and worship by those teachings?"

In the several posts I made in the thread, I launched into various discussions about my agreement or lack thereof with the doctrines and practices of some churches where I have played the organ. So I certainly got off topic, and did so without intending to. I suppose the original question led me to think about the implied question.

I still think it was an interesting thread, and I enjoyed reading all the responses, varied as they were!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213