Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estey tracker action reed organ for sale

Estey tracker action reed organ for sale

<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial">I have a beautiful 1916 Estey two manual &amp; pedal 10 rank reed organ for sale. This is a one of a kind instrument that featured tracker action on the manuals and pedal. It also use a motorized bellows pumping system. The bellows have been recently recovered. The instrument is fairly large, very heavy and would require the buyer to pick up here in my home. </p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial">Here is a link to a demonstration of the instrument</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; white-space: pre; ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T50C7F0O74g</span></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial">Asking $900</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial"></p>

Re: Estey tracker action reed organ for sale

Did you say "a brick layer" to mover it? hahaha</p>

</p>

I have heard it and it sound really nice. I'm not sure I can get it up to my 1st srorey music room.</p>

How heavy would you estimate it to be? pounds or kilogrms?</p>

</p>

Cheers,</p>

David</p>

ps. it needs tuning ...</p>

</p>

Is it not true that all reed organs have in essence tracker action, as they don't use any electric connections to play the reeds?</P>
    Allen 301-C

Conn theatrette 551-Type 3
    4-Conn Speaker Pipes: 145W Brass, 145W Silver, 2-146s Brass
    Estey Reed organ-2manuals and Pedals

Neupert Harpsichord-Telemann 1 manual 8' 4'

This is mostly true. Usually are direct-acting mechanical actions: a key pushes a pin which opens a valve against a spring. This Estey uses a few more links in the chain; it has the action mounted behind and above the keys, with no action under the key bed. Notice how unlike virtually any other type or conventional reed organ, there is a console that is nearly AGO in layout.</p>

Mason &amp; Hamlin actually developed the tracker-touch system and fitted such a keying system to Liszt model organs of 1 and 2 manuals around 1880.</p>

Some reed organs also used pneumatic actions. Vocalions are one type that sometimes combined mechanical and pneumatics within one instrument. This stemmed from the fact that they also developed player reed organs, and the player component technology bled over into the non-player line.</p>

The organ offered for sale is quite desirable, as it has divided expression, and a very good build quality, for an Estey. According to the old catalogs the Studio Organ (as this was dubbed) was not recommended for use in churches, because it had very delicate voicing effects, and did not utilize large scale reeds. It is therefore not liable to overwhelm when used in the home. The specification was customizable by the buyer, and many variant stoplists exist. They were apparently a favorite of Masonic lodges.
    </p>

Casey
    </p>
    1891 II/9 Vocalion; 1866 II/4 Mason & Hamlin; 1891 Mason & Hamlin style 902 two manual Liszt Organ; 1906 Estey V-65 Philharmonic; 1915 Mason & Hamlin Liszt; 1915 Mason & Hamlin 93 BF; 1910 Mason & Hamlin 108AE
    http://masonhamlinorgans.com/

Wow, that is a Studio Organ and I've never seen one but would love to. It is indeed rare. Estey made several 'Duo-Manual Organs'. Models E, G, K59 and T use 10 ranks Philharmonic reeds. The ago type cases are "Studio Organ" with 10 ranks, (I think regular reeds) "Student Organ" with 6 ranks (regular reeds) and a fold-up pedalboard, and the "2 Manual Practice Organ" with only 4 ranks, (also regular reeds, not Philharmonic). I have yet another Duo-Manual model, the Style T58, with Pipetop and straight pedalboard, foot pumps and stick crank pumper. 10 ranks includung a 2' celeste rank split on the swell with 16' Bourdon.
    Jesse Hargus
    Portland, OR

What are Philharmonic reeds as opposed to regular reeds?
    Allen 301-C

They're larger and louder and the chests are separated. I've not heard them side by side common reeds for comparison.
    Jesse Hargus
    Portland, OR

Hi,
    Here's a good worthwhile article on the Estey Studio Organ. I only just now recalled it.</p>

http://www.reedsoc.org/ArticleArchive/gibson.htm</p>

</p>

This is my article on the Estey Philharmonic Organ, Estey's answer to the M&amp;H Liszt model. You can see the jumbo reeds side by side with regular ones in the photo section.</p>

http://www.reedsoc.org/ArticleArchive/Estey_philharmonic.htm</p>

Estey later (by the 20's) switched out of using wide-framed reeds on the manuals, and went entirely to reeds that fit in the normal 3/8" slots directly underneath the normal span of a keyboard, doing away with the additional linkages that were required with 1/2" frame reeds. But IMO, the jumbo reeds sound best. Very fat sound. They would of course, only be used for ranks where the largest roundest tone was wanted. They still intermixed normal width and narrow width tongues in these organs for tonal variety. The Jumbo reeds were hand-assembled and had 2 round-headed iron rivets. Regular, later "Philharmonic" reeds were machine assembled with brass rivets, just like common reeds, so obviously jumbo reeds extinction had an economic motive. I do not know of any 2M organ that Estey built that used the jumbo philharmonic reeds; although I strongly suspect they were the basis for the Phonorium, Estey's suction equivalent of the Vocalion, an entirely hand-made reed organ of surpassing quality, but alas, a commercial failure. They must have sold these at a loss. Unfortunately a Phonorium has never made its way into my hands.
    </p>

Casey
    </p>
    1891 II/9 Vocalion; 1866 II/4 Mason & Hamlin; 1891 Mason & Hamlin style 902 two manual Liszt Organ; 1906 Estey V-65 Philharmonic; 1915 Mason & Hamlin Liszt; 1915 Mason & Hamlin 93 BF; 1910 Mason & Hamlin 108AE

So they still sound like an accordian, just fatter?
    Allen 301-C

Here's a weird vid of a seven rank Estey Philharmonic, with the jumbo reeds. The sound quality isn't the best. It's the only videp I have up with this particular organ.
    </p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtnt3M6TtA

Now this is a phenomenal instrument. It's been used at the Museum of Modern Art in NY, and St. Thomas Church, around the corner from MOMA.</p>

It only has Five rows of reeds.</p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ9o6T9INTU

Casey
    </p>