Thread: Value of a Hammond CV?

Value of a Hammond CV?

A friend has a Hammond CV which is not being used, and was curious what its value might be. I know that the later C's can fetch quite a bit of cash, but I wasn't sure about the older models. </p>

Condition wise, it fires up and plays. Some of the preset labels are still present on the keys! There is also a speaker of some type, though I stupidly didn't look for the model number of it. All I can remember is that it is tall, and has the Leslie style grooves in the wood. Cosmetically, the organ isn't perfect nor is it horrible.</p>

Any thoughts?
    </p>
    Corey

Looking for a new organ (Allen MDS/Renaissance)
    Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
    - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment

Re: Value of a Hammond CV?

Hi, I can only speak to the market in the regions I'm familiar with (NE and SE.) Things may differ a bit in the Midwest. But from what I've seen a CV in perfect cosmetic shape can go for maybe $600-$800 tops; more like $300-$500 if it's in middling condition such as you describe. I've sold two myself on Ebay: one for $450, one for $480.</P>

The key is that speaker, though. It sounds like it's a Leslie, which would increase the value of the package considerably. Likely Lesliecandidates for pairing with a CV would be: 21H or 22H, 31H, or if you're verylucky a 122. (you described it as being tall - is it like 5' tall?) The value will vary with the model: maybe $300-$400 for a 21H, up to as much as $1500 or more for a mint 122. So, you'd want to find out which model it is; but if it is in fact a Leslie, your friend is sitting on a very nice setup there. Hope this helps-</P>

td</P>

PS with the exception of the Percussion effect on the attack, the CVshould produce every bit as good a sound as the more famous B3 and C3 -- especially with the Leslie. Some even prefer it to the later models!</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

I just saw a CV and tone cabinet go for $100 about 3 months ago. It is worth what the buyer will pay.</P>

Speaker is probably worth more than the organ.</P>

CVs can rock.</P>

Here is what a CV can do. I wish I could find a copy of Jeffstown Creek to post.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB7h5aWPPd0</P>

Sure, there's always exceptions. But I think it'll be more helpful to Chris and his friend if we try to give them a price based on general trends, not on isolated or unusual bargains.A couple years ago I picked up a mint '61 A100 absolutely free (it was just in their way)... so you never know. But that doesn't mean there's no way to predict whatan A100ought to go for in general. There are enough of these Hammonds selling on Ebay and Craigs that you can get a pretty good idea of the going rate.</P>

--Kinda like these hurricanes lately: nobody knows for sure which way they're gonna go. But I feel a whole lot better knowing there are teams of scientists with big old computers who can at least narrow it down for us.</P>

td</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

That tall cabinet might be a D-20, commonly paired with a CV. It does have ventilation louvers on one side. Nice, but not as valuable as a tower Leslie.
    Roy E. Knight, DMA

Hauptwerk 4-manual digital
    Hammond B-3, Leslie 122, PR-40
    Hammond A-102, Leslie 125, PR-40

Church; Cassavant 3-manual, 70 rank

Could definitely be a d-20. Very cool specimen with 2 field coil speakers and a strong amp. Few hundred $$ easily. The speakers are probably worth more then the complete cab. Nice bass response too.
    </p>

D20:</p>

</p>

Leslie 31H "tallboy":</p>

</p>