Thread: Hammond M3 bass pedals not working correctly

Hammond M3 bass pedals not working correctly

<DIV class=ForumPostContentText id=ctl00_ctl01_bcr_ctl00___PostRepeater_ctl01_Post ViewWrapper>

I just bought a Hammond M3 from a guy for $25. Based on the amount of dust in the back, it is obvious that it has sat in a garage for a while (probably unused). I have some oil on order. When I start it up, the upper and lower manuals play alright. However, when I use the bass pedals (specifically the C and C# pedals), it sounds like both of them are playing at the same time. Also, when the volume button is selected to 'normal', and I play any of the bass pedals, they seem to stick. Meaning they continue to play when I press a key on either the upper or lower manual. If I run my foot quickly across the pedal, it will stop playing with the upper manual.</P>

Any ideas?</P></DIV>

Re: Hammond M3 bass pedals not working correctly

I have an Aurora with the pedal G# playing "all" the notes but very softly, and it also will stop ANY note from playing at the same time on the pedal... (It should not stop ANY note above it in pitch), so I believe it has to do with a circuit board, and will have to be checked out a board at the time, to find. </p>

I have carefully cleaned every connection in the organ that I could get to, inc all circuit board finger connects, so it's not from dirt.. All other parts of the organ now work correctly, including the other pedal notes. </p>

You probably should clean..., but you likely will have to check pedal components eventually...</p>

John
    </p>

Do a search in the archives on this, there have been a few different guys with pretty much this exact pedal problem on M3s. Simplest troubleshooting first: does the M3 happen to be sitting on a thick carpet? This can screw up the contacts. Second problem is usually a wiring issue: connections for the pedal signalsare often the first wires to come loose from the TG, if the organ was moved without locking the TG down. Again, look in the archives; I'm sure I've written this up at least once. You can tell just by visual inspection: take off the TG cover and inspect the solder joints on top, especially at the far right. Post back if you need more help, e.g. in figuring out where to reconnect any dangling wires.</P>

good luck-</P>

td</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

Here's the thread: http://organforum.com/forums/thread/72570.aspx
    </p>

Indeed you have written it up; you were the one who helped us out!
    </p>
    1955 M3 (in good hands!)
    1962 A100
    Yamaha EX7

Thanks for the help. I found one of the wires loose. I re-soldered it and now the C and C# work correctly. I didn't see any other loose wires in there. But I am still getting the problem where when I play a bass note, and let off the note, everytime I press a note on either of the manuals, the bass note will play too (without me touching the bass pedal). This will go away if I run my foot across the pedal quickly. I was thinking maybe a stuck contact, but it seems to do it with all of the pedals. It seems unlikely that all of the pedal contacts are sticking. Oh well I'm off to church and when I get home I'll do some more looking. The organ is on carpet, although I'm not sure I would classify it as "thick" carpet.</P>

Thanks again. And if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. </P>

OK good, this is progress! Red, thanks for scaring up the one post. I finally found the other one, that relates more directly to the last pedal note bleeding through on the bass keys. Look here: http://organforum.com/forums/thread/87070.aspx. There are even some pics there to help you out. Good luck and keep after it - there's NOTHING on an M3 that can't be fixed, usually pretty easy. (Ok maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but really these guys are pretty much bulletproof.)</P>

td</P>
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

I still haven't tracked down what could be causing my problem with the pedals sticking while I play on the manuals. So that you can see what I mean, I have posted a video on YouTube. The video is at the following location:</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Q3pwgqdg0</P>

Sorry about the poor video quality. I was using a cheap digital camera.</P>