Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conn pipe speakers

Conn pipe speakers

Okay, so what is the deal with Conn pipe speakers? Are they just for decoration? or Is there something to this? I have never heard one play, so I am ignorant about this type of set-up.

Re: Conn pipe speakers

The Conn pipe speakerswere constructed with either two or four 6" x 9" speakers in the pipe chest which fire up through the bottom of the pipes. According to Conn literature, the sound from the speakers excites the column of air in the pipes, which are apparently tuned to appropriate pitches, so a more-or-less "pipelike" sound emanates from the top of the pipes, and there is a slight bit of sustain (reverb?) to the sound after a key is released as the sound within the pipes dissipates. Ihave three sets of them connected to a modern digital organ. My personal opinion is, they probably enhanced the sound of the 70s-80s organs they were paired with. Current digital organs, maybe not quite so much, but I do like what they do to higher pitched reeds, strings,and mixtures, giving them a brilliance ordinary speakers don't have. Whether one likes the sound of them is a matter of taste, I suppose, but many people like them. I doubt you could go wrong. And of course, the main reason I bought them was for the "look."
    Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

Thanks for the question and for the explanation. I have wondered about Conn "pipes" for a long while ... I appreciate hearing firsthand experience.

Yes, thanks for the explanation. Thats a pretty cool design, and it would be neat to hear some.

We have two sets connected to one channel on a Rodgers analog organ. They do make a positive and noticable difference.</P>

I would have to agree with something that was said earlier, that the difference might not be quite as desirable if the old Conn pipe speakers were connected to a modern digital organ. In the case of our 25 year old Rodgers, it is certainly an improvement.</P>

So where do you guys get these things? I did quite a bit of google searching to figure out sources and cost but no luck. I suppose they are pretty expensive when you find them. I wonder how hard it would be to reverse engineer them. Also are the pipes tunable?</p>

mike</p>
    If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Thank you for filling in some gaps in my knowledge concerning the Conn ganged-resonator speakers and their construction; this approach looks as though it can be scaled up to 15" transducers for tone down to 16 Hz (consistent with a Pd Soubasse 32). I'm looking into the problem of compression transducers firing into tuned trumpets to disperse in a manner consistent with trompettes en chamade; what attempts have been made so far in this direction?

I have eight Conn Pipe Speakers - I am not [yet] actively trying to sell them, BUT... they are available if anyone is interested.</P>

</P>

Since I will soon be installing real wind-blown 8' Diapasons in case-work at the front of this new platform:</P>

</P>

I think $100 per cabinet is about the going rate. But then there is shipping to consider also...</P>

Just added five sets to the Rodgers two channel analog organ at church. Makes quite a positive difference in the sound. </P>

Don</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

A couple of other things: The Conn pipes are not good for reproducing pedal tones. You will still need a subwoofer for that. Someone asked if they were tunable...no, they aren't, but they are tuned to resonate at appropriate frequencies.</P>

There is more info at the Organ Service Corp. http://www.organservice.com/conn/connpipes.htm</P>

Pricing is all over the place; a lot depends on condition, as it seems they are easily damaged. I bought mine about 3 years ago. It seemed that the going price back then was about $300 for a 145 or 146 in nice shape. I suspect current prices are the same. I have seen some really rough ones on e-bay; not even salvageable, IMO. and they're asking $75 - 100. I looked for quite a while, and eventually found mine in Council Bluffs Iowa, within driving distance but still a long drive from central Minnesota. These are not very amenable to shipping given their shape and spindliness. </P>
    Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast