Thread: Baldwin Model 45

Baldwin Model 45

My grandmother puchased in 1955 a Baldwin 2 manual Model 45 Organ for a whopping $1,500.00 (considering they only paid $4,500 for their home, it was quite a purchase). My uncle inheritited it and has kept it for some yearsuntil this last weekend when hepassed it onto me to keep (grandson). It's in remarkble condition and only shows some minor blemshes in the finish from being moved. There are also some spare vaccuum tubes with it. It plays fairly well. Some of the stops crackle a bit and the salicional does not work at all. It has several Tibia stops and deffinantly has that theater organ sound; especially with the three different tremulant settings. It has a full (not just the lower C octave like on some models) flat pedal board that is a bit smaller than what I am used to. The pedals are closer togetherand itis shorttwo or threeof notes on the top.I don't think it's really worth anything; it's just a fun family heirloom. My grandmother also kept in the organ bench some brochures that are in absolute prestine condition for Baldwin, Allen and Wurlitzer organs from the mid 50's. There is also an article from The American Organist giving a review for a particular Baldwind organ modelfrom 1953. Fun stuff to look at. </P>

I plan to use is as a practice instrument for newmusic andto work on organ technique. This way I don't have to spend quite as much time on the organ at the church.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Baldwin Model 45

These older Baldwin Organs were built like a battleship. I am sure this one has a locking top, and it was the first organ Baldwin made with 25 pedals. It was for the home, studio, chapel or small church, and for general use. I would check with a qualified tech who could bring this organ back quite easily I think. They were well made, but for an electronics expert they used simple elec in those days and could be an easy fix. this model came on the market in 1953. This organ can still provide many hours of enjoyment, and parts are available.It will make you a very nice practice organ. Since this organ has not been used for awhile, let it run each day and play on it. Some of the elec componets need to electricity going through them in order to self clean the contacts. Work the stop back and forth that doesn't sound, and you might get it to working again. Organs that sit a long time do need to have the contacts cleaned, but just letting them run will heop as much as anything I can think of since I have proven that with the older Baldwin I have.</P>

When your grandparents bought that organ in 1955 it was considered a luxuary item for the home. I remember when a luxuary tax was changed for items such as an organ in my area. I know it was a beauty as well as a treasure for them to own. Nowdays, it is not worth anything on the market except for someone who might make you an offer if they are wanting that particular model of organ regardless of the brand.</P>

I remember a couple who bought a model 45H2 which was basically the same organ with a few stop changes, and it was Baldwin's first home organ without a locking top. There was a church version the model 45Cwhich did have a locking top. These two models came on the market in 1958.</P>

I have a model 54A which has transistors in the generator, but is has a tube AMP. This spinet organ has a strong sound as all tube organs seem to have. I have a large church Baldwin model 48C which is an all transistor model, but it has a similar sound yet somewhat different than the tube model to my ears.</P>

Baldwin built a high quality organ, and when young I had only been around Hammond so much that I didn't know how to use a Baldwin properly. I dislike the buzzy sound that the strings stop seem to have, and also since the generator is based on a square wave some of the individual stops do have a "clarinety" sound. As these organ age, the tones which were in the divider organs seem to mush together giving all the stops a sound like the "mother" tone wave. I do notice the "clarintey" sound on my older Baldwin more so than the church organ I have, but it is definatelythere on bothmodels. Baldwin seemed to adhered to the sametype of tone used in the very largeearly church organs they made prior to entereing the home organ market.Quality was the biggest going thing,but I have found the Baldwin to more suited for churchor slow music than a Hammond which was actually made for the nightclub, dance hall floor, and etc.Laurens Hammond himself was shocked when the first Hammond was bought by a Methdist church. They became very popular with churches, and so many didn't know how to playthem well at all. Baldwin is moresuitedforchurch music in that the playing technique and reponse is very close to apipe organ. They had a slogan at one time which was, "Baldwin, the sound of faith." </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

My Spinet Baldwin is a 54A, and it came on the market in 1963. The church Baldwin model 48C came on the market in 1968. I remember seeing these organs at the Baldwin dealers when in my teens. I went there ever so often and got to play on the new models that would come in from time to time. I enjoyed the many times I spent in that store.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I will find it interesting to know how this organ works out for you. Good luck, and God bless you when practicing.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models