Thread: Swell Unison Off

Swell Unison Off

On the Rogers 790c electronic organthat I play, there is a "Swell Unison Off" that, when turned on, makes the swell manual not play. You can still couple the swell to the great andplay it on the great though. Does anyone know what the practical use is of this setting?

Re: Swell Unison Off

If you have sub and super intramanual couplers (e.g. swell to swell 16' and/or 4') you can use swell stops at pitches other than unison. The same goes for intermanual couplers.

Thanks for the help. I will experiment with it tonight.

David, the "Swell Unison Off" function is only found when there are also couplers provided to play the selected stops an octave higher ("Swell to Swell 4' ") and/or an octave lower ("Swell to Swell 16' ") than unison pitch. Sometimes it is desirable to play using those couplers but without the notes at unison pitch playing, too--using the "Swell Unison Off" stops the unison notes from sounding. I don't know that anyone ever does it, but it could also be used without those intramanual couplers to play just the stops coupled up from another manual. I suppose one could produce a duplicate of one of the other manuals that way (or even a combination of two or more, if they have couplers to the Swell); one could still couple the Swell down to the other manuals where such couplers are available. I'm not sure just how useful all that messing around would be, but the possibilities are interesting. (Example: draw stops on Swell, Great, and Choir; couple the Swell and Choir to the Great; couple the Great to the Swell; turn on the Swell Unison Off. Now playing on the Great invokes the stops on all 3 manuals, but playing on the Swell only plays stops on the Great. Would anyone want to do that? I don't know. Maybe some organs don't have full coupling provided and that would be a way to get that result not available by other means.)</P>

David</P>

This being the case, I suppose then on my organ, this is a useless setting since I <U>only</U> have unison couplers. I wonder if it has been added to the organ so that ifI were to have a MIDI module,it could beused it somehow?

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

David, the "Swell Unison Off" function is only found when there are also couplers provided to play the selected stops an octave higher ("Swell to Swell 4' ") and/or an octave lower ("Swell to Swell 16' ") than unison pitch. Sometimes it is desirable to play using those couplers but without the notes at unison pitch playing, too--using the "Swell Unison Off" stops the unison notes from sounding. I don't know that anyone ever does it, but it could also be used without those intramanual couplers to play just the stops coupled up from another manual. I suppose one could produce a duplicate of one of the other manuals that way (or even a combination of two or more, if they have couplers to the Swell); one could still couple the Swell down to the other manuals where such couplers are available. I'm not sure just how useful all that messing around would be, but the possibilities are interesting. (Example: draw stops on Swell, Great, and Choir; couple the Swell and Choir to the Great; couple the Great to the Swell; turn on the Swell Unison Off. Now playing on the Great invokes the stops on all 3 manuals, but playing on the Swell only plays stops on the Great. Would anyone want to do that? I don't know. Maybe some organs don't have full coupling provided and that would be a way to get that result not available by other means.)</P>

David</P>

[/quote]</P>

I know nothing about this particular Rodgers model, but the use of "unison off" couplers can be quite varied.There are often solo/high pressure stops that are not affected by any couplers (trompette - en - chamades, tubas and even MIDI) If you had a two manual instrument and this type of stop was available on either or both manuals, the only way you could use them against "full organ" would be to couple the swell stops to the great, engage the swell unison off, and then you would have your full ensemble on the great with only your solo stop on the swell.</P>

Another possibility, if you had a four manual instrument you might wish to bring the top manual stops down to the third manual for ease of access. The swell unison off could then beengaged and the stops from the swell could be transfered (coupled to) another manual.</P>

Lots of possibilities depending on the layout of a given instrument. On the other hand, this coupler seems to be provided out of nothing but habit on some instruments and provides little more than one more knob! </P>

On the 790, "Swell Unison Off" is provided simply to let you register some swell stopsand have them NOT play from the swell manual, but still sound from the great and/or pedal when you have engaged the appropriate couplers.</P>

This leaves the Swell manual "silent" except for whatever MIDI voices you have coupled to it by means of the Swell MIDI coupler piston and any external MIDI tone generator you are using. Whatever MIDI voices you have assigned to the swell will NOT couple to the great or pedal, so that leaves those voices sounding by themselves on the swell.</P>

That's pretty much what a couple of previous posters have been saying, I guess. It would allow you, for example, to set up aFestival Trumpet using your MIDI device coupled to the swell, and playit against the full organ on the great, including the swell stops that otherwise you would not be able to utilitze if you're reserving the swell manual for the big reed (or for any other solo effect of your choosing).</P>

John</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 ........ at last!
    Home: Allen MADC-420 ...........finally!
    Shop: More organs than I can count.... some working, many not!
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

[quote user="davidecasteel"] David, the "Swell Unison Off" function is only found when there are also couplers provided to play the selected stops an octave higher ("Swell to Swell 4' ") and/or an octave lower ("Swell to Swell 16' ") than unison pitch.[/quote]</P>

Except on the Rodgers 790c! [:S]</P>

So the way I figure it . . . .aFinancial-Analyst at Rodgers recognized an opportunity to exploit anichemarket for economicallow-end organs.Rather going to the expense of designing a neworgan to fit the criteria, he realizedthat all they would have to do to produce a more cost-effective organ, would be to merely cut out some of the features of their higher end models. And to further save $$$, Mr. Financial Analyst decided toalso eliminate costs associated with design engineersin favour of arbitrarily eliminating the un-needed features himself. After all, he was a muscian: heplayedagueeetar! At the outset, he figured that elimination of the 16' and 4' couplers would be a good start, so he got rid of them. But when he got to the "Unison Off" tab, he wasn't quite sure what it did, but he figured that it mustbe pretty awesome, so refrained from fiddling with something he didn'tunderstand; and left the mysterious "Unison Off" intact.</P>
    2008: Phoenix III/44